How long should I wait before responding to a message from the guy I like?

We have been in each others' 'social circles' for a month or two now. He caught my eye from the very beginning, but I am not the type to make the first move; instead opted to wait for him to notice and pursue me. Well, I am ecstatic to report that he finally has! I just received a short and simple "hello there" from him, but since he took his sweet time in making the first move, I do not want to respond right away and risk seeming too eager, or worse, desperate! He is my equal, & because of which, I consider him quite a catch--handsome, confident, charismatic, educated, & gainfully employed! I am not looking to play catch & release with this one (forgive the crude analogy) I'd prefer a snag, hook, & sinker method--long enough to get to now one another well, & for me to decide just how close of company I'd like to keep, & for how long...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• i'd say around 5min-10min is good. faster replies imply you're interested, guys don't see girls as desperate really. slower replies usually imply you don't care, you're busy, or forgot. just weigh it out for yourself. don't leave him hanging though. or you can lose him

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Nothing wrong with replying 10 minutes or so later. Just don't make every message a 10 minute delay otherwise it is painfully obvious what you're trying to do.

If a girl likes a guy there is absolutely nothing wrong with the girl showing some initiative.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for the advice! Even though it has been longer than 10 minutes now, I am willing to bet the content of my response is probably more important--that being said, any advice on how to respond to his simple 'hello there'? By the way I swear I used to be good at this, but I took myself out of the game about two years ago, and am just getting back into the swing of things...THANKS AGAIN:D

• If you leave it a while then you can always reply with a "hey there, sorry I was busy doing 'x' " and end it with a general and open ended statement like "its such a chore haha". Give something to the flow of the conversation, don't make him do all the work.

Best of luck.

• I usually take a girl who waits to respond as a signal that she finds me annoying, and would rather that I left her alone. My advise would be as the fellows before me indicated, respond right when you can.

0|0
    0|0
  • a few hours

0|0
    0|0
  • Quit playing games. Just respond to him!

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't play games. Just respond to him the moment you receive the text.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• not too long or he may think you aren't interested maybe a couple of hours

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes