Best way to tell her I inject prescribed steroids for my health?

My current girlfriend is the type that will make big problems out of little things. and we are in the process of moving in together, she has not seen my mini-chem lab yet lol..

Long story short, my father was a vietnam war veteran and was exposed to agent orange and later died of multiple cancers. I inherited some of his diseases, and I've got a rare type of Muscular Dystrophy which did not develop until I turned 19 and was medically discharged from the Marines. So I'm prescribed steroids and HGH, and a couple of peptides; so I won't die.

Anyway, what's the best way to tell her? She still has not moved on from the death of her brother, a couple of months ago.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Show her all your stuff and your correspondence with your physicians and the clinical trial sh*t. That should take care of that- she'll know you're not perpetrating f*ckery and that your stuff is all legit and legal. She can read up on MD, too, and if she does she'll see what the disease is, how it works, and some of the treatments that are already being used- the idea (in a nut shell) is to slow mucscle loss and/or regrow it at a faster rate than it is being lost. And, you know, HGH is a way to do that, and so is steroids. That's just science. It is what it is.

This would be no different than if you had cancer (god forbid) and were being given legally prescribed marijuana to counteract symptoms from treatment or the disease itself. She sort of doesn't get to have an opinion here, is what I'm saying. SHe's not part of your healthcare team, so as long as you're not cooking meth in your closet or selling heroin, she needs to (and in fairness probably WILL) accept your lab! (Maybe she can dust your beakers and organize your syringes for you. HA!)

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• Does she know anything at all about your health issues? If she doesn't, it's definitely time to tell her and then of course you would tell her about the medication that keeps you alive and able to live a relatively "normal" life. I can't see her having a problem with that, and if she does she will probably get over it after an initial shock/freak out. If she doesn't, she's probably not the right person for you and you shouldn't be moving in together.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think you telling her about your medication will emotionally affect her when it comes to her recent loss of her brother.

I would understand feeling hesitant if you were using steroids for your own benefit; to get bigger muscles, but not when it comes to saving your life.

I would recommend leaving your "mini-chem lab" out on display and so if she questions it, you can explain it to her. That way, it'll come up in a more casual conversation, rather than a serious, planned, confrontational talk about it, which could potentially make her worried. She may be a bit concerned for your health but she shouldn't be overly dramatic over it. You have nothing to worry about. I can't even think of what could possibly go wrong in this situation! :P

0|0
    0|0
    • She has a thing about illegal drugs, a hate against it. I'm a part of a scientific study, so I'm basically a Guinea pig, I run blood samples every weekend and I get like a $4k check a month for personal use along with boxes and boxes of materials. If I live with her, she's gonna notice the many syringes, gloves, vials and tubes for mixing; I'm afraid she will think I'm a drug dealer or mad scientist lol.

• Im close with her mom, so should I tell her mom first then I can use her as a median when it comes to the discussion?

• She may initially think that but if you show her all the documentation and explain it all to her, she should believe you. If she doesn't believe you, then she doesn't trust you very much! I don't think you should use her mum as a median; it makes it appear that you fear confrontation and can't have one to one conversations, about personal things, without the input of others.

• Just come out and say it, she should understand if she doesn't she's not the girl for you.

It's not like your doing it illegally to become buff and better sports. You actually have a good reason, a way better reason than I have.

(I'm perscribed staroids too but I wouldn't die without them)

You have many forms of cancer and its your medication, its like when people are prescribed weed. Irs for your health, and its not your fault. You aren't doing it for fun, and if she doesn't understand that, or rather let you suffer, you're much better without her.

I hope this helps,

xoxo Monae

0|0
    0|0
  • Find time to be alone with her and then tell your story to her

0|0
    0|0
  • does she know anything about your health? because all of that is kinda scary.

0|0
    0|0
  • First off, I'm so sorry for your father's death and your subsequent hand dealt in life...not fair at all.

Just tell her about it. If you say what you said in your question, I really don't see how she can be mad at you. It's necessary to your health and she should understand that.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• I think she is entitled to know everything that is going on, so you just have to be completely open about it all. Tell her in detail, and don't miss anything out. If she doesn't believe you or has difficulty understanding what it is your doing or has questions you don't have the answers too, arrange an appointment with your GP.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just let her know what's going on. Be sure that she understands that it's under control and you have a plan. Whether or not you tell her, she will eventually find out. You need to be honest.

0|0
    0|0
  • You should try to move her into a discreet place, then you can tell her there.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes