What made you break up with someone you had a long term relationship with?

I've seen cases where couples dated for 4-7 years and break up not because of infidelity though. How long did you dated and what made you break up with someone you had a long term relationship with?
  • Too much fighting
    Vote A
  • He/she tried to change me
    Vote B
  • Found a better person/felt I could be with someone "better"
    Vote C
  • Fell out of "love" (Please elaborate if you chose this)
    Vote D
  • See answer
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a relationship for 6 years! I slowly started falling out of love with him because of certain things he said. They were automatic deal breakers to me... Like for instance, a big reason I broke it off with him was because he & his family were a bit racist. A guy dating me cannot be racist because every guy who dates me knows that I am bi-racial. So, what's going to happen when we decide to get married & black people show up from my side of the family to the wedding? Is that going to be a problem, because it sure isn't a problem to me. I see no difference. Also, I came from a lower-income background, but I never once looked down upon my life. I thought life was so good growing up! He would bring it to my attention though & talk down upon me. He comes from a really rich background & along with that comes a lifestyle & a certain type of personality if you let it get to your head. We just clashed & I couldn't take it anymore. Another deal breaker was that he would make jokes about my mom. She suffers from a severe illness & I have no idea how long she'll be here for.. So that really hurt me anytime he would say something about her situation in the wrong light. Sometimes you can try so hard to make it work & bring things to your partner's attention. Which I did, but everything kept adding up & made me think less of him when I used to think he was the greatest guy in the world! People change!

4|0
    0|0
    • He sounds like an a**hole, good you left!

• Haha yes. :) He was a closet a**hole. lol. Everyone thought we were the happiest couple, but no one knows what a person is like behind closed doors! Personality shines bright then! I'm glad I left too! :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• I chose D because it was actually a combination of A and B. She tried to change me to fit the mold she wanted and because I resisted, we fought constantly. I realized two months into our engagement that I absolutely was not happy and in no way wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

3|0
    0|0
  • I believe "D" is the most common reason.

When that "honeymoon stage" ends, you get to learn the deep inner mental, psychological, and spiritual aspects of that person.

I think most relationships end because there were incompatibilities discovered that made the relationship not able to be continued.

0|1
    0|0
  • i broke up with a girl of two years because we were fighting all the time. Everything was fine after a year, but then she wanted to see me more then once a month and I told her that it's not going to happen because of the gas. So we broke up and that was 6 years ago

0|0
    1|1
  • One tried to change me. She was a bore too.

One cheated and got pregnant by another guy.

One wasn't really the person I hoped she'd be. (but that wasn't LT)

0|0
    0|0
  • Our life goals were different, we both chose to follow different dreams/ career opportunities.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never have, it's usually the girl who has.

0|0
    0|0
  • About 3 years, religious differences. They caused A, B and D for us.

2|0
    0|0
  • Lack of sex.

0|0
    0|0
    • I may be young. But I think that's a horrible reason. (I'm 19)

• I should have done it years sooner.

• It would be because I've found a better woman and I'm fed up with the current relationship.

0|0
    2|0

What Girls Said 13

• I chose B. I've only had two long term relationships and I was only the dumper in one of them. In that relationship, he and I were very different. I worked pretty hard tor respect our differences and not push him to change but near the end (hence, the end) every time we would talk it was basically him saying, "you should think like me," and I just couldn't handle it so I dumped his insanity.

0|0
    0|0
  • The inability to resolve issues in the relationship, it got to the point where I dreaded going home because I knew he would just want to fight about the same things over and over again.

Saddest part they were his issues not mine.

0|0
    0|0
  • He was crazy obsessed with me! and always trying control what I did and who I see and where I go! he wasn't like that a first but then he just got crazy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know if this is considered as long termed as yours, but I dated a guy for a year. He was the longest I've ever dated, but we ended up breaking up after an argument. For the past 3-4 months we have been off and on, but I decided to just let him go for good yesterday. Why? because he honestly had nothing going for life. All he did was sit up and play video games all the time, not to mention he was way to comfortable with me, He expected me to do everything, and I mean everything! Not to mention he was very rude and degraded me every time he was angry. I just don't need that in my life.

1|0
    1|0
  • My ex and I dated two and a half years. He cheated on me four months into our relationship but I forgave him. He made me feel loved and needed, but he also treated me like dirt, and eventually became emotionally abusive, and shortly after that physically abusive. I tried so hard to change him and thought he would change but he never did and one day I was with him and I was ready to leave him if ever he put a hand on me again, and he ended up shoving me so hard I hit my head and got a concussion, so I left and never went back. He obsessed over me after I left and called me and emailed me tweeted me everything. I didn't talk to him for over a year, but then finally I did reply to his email and I forgave him. I still can't stand him though I honestly don;t know how I dated him for that long it sickens me that I did.

1|0
    0|0
    • My answer was that we fought to much by the way. I got over him cheating, our fighting was so intense...i was depressed pretty much the whole relationship because of it

• I realized I had never loved him as a boyfriend/ partner. I had stayed with him to help his insecurities but was not allowing myself to be happy. I loved him as a best friend who I wanted to help through all the tough times but not the man I wanted to come home to and spend my life with. We are friends still. He got married in Feb and I have been with my amazing boyfriend for 5 years now. I know that he still cares about me and I think would take me back any day if I said I wanted him but I could never love him the way he loves me/or did. It would have been unfair on both of us if I had stayed with him. HE needed someone who thought he was their universe.

2|0
    0|0
  • i fell in love with my best guy friend and left my ass hole ex.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was still young at the time (9) but I was with him for 2 years. I moved to a different school

0|0
    0|0
  • They got too busy.

0|0
    0|0
  • All of the above. I wasn't attracted enough to the guy and he was abusive, so any chance of that growing died. Sorry, but I don't want to be subjected to painful sex, lies, and manipulation while he makes fun of my vagina by calling it a "cooter."

0|0
    0|0
  • the guy was withdrawing all the time, always put me second to everything else (friends, family, uni, career), all he did was sweet talk no action. . .

0|0
    0|0
  • Long distance

2|0
    0|0
  • We dated for 5 years and it ended because of a combination of A, B & D. I voted B though because that was the biggest issue.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes