My Ex keeps saying he is going to kill himself.

My ex keeps saying that he is going to kill himself. He has called me over to his place before because he was cutting himself. I cleaned him up and tried to make him feel better. And although I do not want to see any harm come to him, its starting to get to the point where I can't take it anymore. And although we are friendly to each other, I am not with him, nor will I get back with him. I'm just not sure how to handle this situation. I know that he wants to get back together, and I fear if I tell him that I have started seeing someone else he might actually kill himself. What do I do?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• My first serious relationship was complicated. I was young, naive, and self-absorbed.

She cut herself. She talked about killing herself from time to time. She told me if I ever left her she would do it. I talked myself into believing she wouldn't really do it. She had cut herself so often that I thought that was all she would do. It was normal.

I eventually broke it off. I moved cities and put some distance between us.

I remember the phone ringing one day and hearing her voice on the other end. This was some time later. I don't know how she got my number but it didn't matter.

I remember saying "who is this" knowing full well who it was. She said her name and I don't know why I said it, I didn't think, but I said "don't ever call me again" and she didn't.

She's dead. She slit her wrist and bled out.

I swear to you I felt the weight of that day for years to come. You don't want that. Talk to someone. I don't know who but don't make the same mistake. It'll never leave you.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• All you can do is advise him to get professional help. Aside from your relationship, he obviously needs it. You can ask your friends if they know of a good therapist with relationship experience.

And I'd tell him that you can't be his 'therapist' any longer. Tell him that as of x date, you can't be available any longer. I wouldn't tell him about any new guy, though. Hopefully he won't fnd out indirectly.

You have a right to lead your life; he can't veto your future.

1|0
    0|0
  • See my answer on a very similar thread (health) from 5/27/2013 by atmosphere1

Your friend needs serious help- and you are not the one to be running over there.

Check it out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hi Sugarjacki.

Tough time, but I feel that he's just using this passive aggresive threats to make you stay by his side. This is fine, if you're willing to be used this way. But think of this : you'll stay by his side, he'll think that you want to get back with him... Which is not true (I guess)

But when you leave him (again - because you have a life) , he'll threaten to kill himself again.

And you'll get back to him. Again.

This is a vicious circle.

What you can do, especially since he already tried to cut himself, is to call the police, saying that he is a threat to himself. He'll be sent to a hospital (or mental institute, maybe), and they'll take care of him.

Anyways, you cannot live your life like that. You need to find yourself another boyfriend, that will not threaten to do stupid stuff whenever he feels sad.

Good luck miss !

Tell us how it went !

1|1
    0|1
  • You need to tell someone close to him so he can get help. It isn't your responsibility if he keeps pulling you into his insanity. You have a life to live too and you can't be sucked into his because he is unstable. If he did kill himself it isn't YOUR fault.. It's his for killing himself.

I'm sorry if I sound cruel about this but I can't stand it when people keep other people down. It drives me insane. He needs to get help if he's behaving in such a way so get the ball rolling with somebody close to him and be done with it. This isn't fair to you.

2|0
    0|0
  • Just...let him...do it...,I told my ex Girlfriend that...but she need up trying to stop me and she did just let him be happy to unlike me and let him do it

0|0
    0|0
  • Just leave him be.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• What he's doing is emotional abuse. This type of thing is difficult to handle, though. Just a suggestion, but I would tell him that I care about him and say if he cuts himself or acts suicidal one more time, I'd be forced to tell his mother.

1|1
    0|0
  • dang I feel you. ask the help of his family and maybe explain to him you just can't be together anymore and plead to understand you? I srsly don't know... :/

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes