Girl's ex committed suicide...do I tell her?

So to quickly cover the story, I went to school with these two people (guy and a girl). The two had a thing for each other and eventually got together. Neither one was like the "normal" person and it was the first relationship they had in a while. Flash forward to the end, and the girl ended the relationship pretty suddenly and admittedly for some selfish reasons. She went from being really into him and everything, to basically living her life as if she never met him.

He struggled with this for a while up until a few days ago when we found out he took his own life. She doesn't know because she moved away and so now I'm in a pickle. I'm a bit stunned by all this happening, and I'm not sure if she should know about it or not. She lives far enough away to where if she might never find out otherwise.

So GAG, is ignorance bliss in this situation?

35

Most Helpful Girl

• Well on one hand I wouldn't feel like its my place to tell her and if she moved on assuming she didn't care about him when he was around (because of the abrupt breakup but I have no way of knowing them or their feelings and so on)... how genuinely could she care that he is gone... sorry if that sounds harsh. Plus she may feel some guilt like she is to blame because of ending the relationship or whatever was going on between them. But we have no way of knowing all that he was feelings or his exact reasons.

On the other hand if you are friends with her, I personally would want my friend to tell me something like that. Especially if it was about someone I truly cared about and had a relationship with.

I guess just think about if you were in her position if you would want to be told or not. You know more about them, the relationship, and so many other important details than anyone here does. Sorry if I'm not very helpful here.