Is it wrong to be turned off by a 28 year old living at home still?

I met this amazing guy and we've been dating for a few weeks now. I found out he still lives at home, but it's not because he's going to school. He isn't in debt. He just doesn't want to move out yet. I could have been okay with it if he were having financial problems, or if he were going to school but he's not. He just does not want to work, and is happy still living at home.

I've been on my own since I was 19 and I am getting ready to buy a condo soon. I have an appointment with my bank to see about first time home buying in a couple weeks. I recently just paid off my car, and I have a nice savings account. I am 26. I just get worried that maybe he is looking for a free ride, because he told me if he met the right girl he would move out of his parents place.

He has never worked a day in his life. He just uses his parents cars for everything, and borrows money from them. So despite the fact that he is a decent guy in everything else, I don't know if I can date someone who hasn't and doesn't want to work. Who still lives with their parents, and has no plans to move out.

He is angry with me for it now too when he asked how I would feel if he moved in with me, and I said not unless he got a job first.

26

Most Helpful Guy

• Uh... that would be like a guy asking, "Is it wrong to be turned off by a 28 year old girl who still plays with barbie dolls?"

Getting into college isn't hard. Getting a semi-decent job without a college degree isn't hard either, though you need a degree if you want to do more than just get by.

Like, I have zero official experience in security, but I just got hired by a pretty big security firm, and now I'll get paid $10 an hour to wear a suit and sit behind the console at an office building and greet people as they go by, haha. It'll be a decent job until I graduate next year. If I want to actually go through a few classes, I could be an armed security officer and get a way better assignment.

Not working, not wanting to get your own place and be self-sufficient... that says that mentally, he's more like an early teenager than a grown man. It's pathetic.

• True, but a lot of people have gotten defensive of him with me. They're making it seem like I am bad a person because of it, but I don't think they know that he doesn't want to work. So far, internet people make more sense then people I know offline. How odd.

• We can be cold hearted bastards and just tell you the flat truth, without getting our own emotions in the way, lol. Hence why strangers can often give better, more honest advice than friends.

• Lol, yeah you're right about that. The reason I am on an anonymous internet site.