How should I handle this situation?

So I've known this guy for years, we never hung out much, but every time we saw one another we clicked instantly. Apparently he had a crush on me then, but I was in a downhill (2 year) relationship. The next time I saw him was new years, and he was chasing this girl he'd been friends with for awhile (but she pretty much had him as a back-up-plan). So one day over a year later we reconnected. Turns out we had both ended our relationships and we kinda bonded over that.. It was still fresh-ish on both sides (more him than me), but we hung out and kissed and it was a really nice time! After that he said his ex begged him back and said she'd try harder to do the things he needed for the relationship. He chose to give her that chance and things slowed down for us, as expected, but I was enjoying having him as a friend, even without any of the physical stuff that was more on him than me. So he invites me over one day, I'm thinking hangout.. he ends up kissing me, but I won't let it go past that because of the situation with his girlfriend, even though NOTHING has changed and they're just getting more and more miserable.

He was under the influence and apparently kissed someone other than me that night too, which takes the pressure off of me some, but he feels like sh*t about it (not that he shouldn't).

SO FOR THE MAIN PART. I'm wondering what I can do now to talk to him, or be there for him. I care about him as a friend more than anything, and would love for him to stop putting the both of them through this dead end, but it's not my place. I just don't want him to see me as part of the evil and to cut communication with me.

I NEED SOME WORDS OF WISDOM!

20