How to break-up on good terms?

Me and my girlfriend have been dating for a month and a half, and we like each other. We just started getting intimate recently, and she wants a long-term relationship, often talking about our future. She told me she's really falling for me , and she's half-way there to being falling for me all the way. I'm not ready for that kind of commitement and I'm not ready for a relationship.

I want to end things before she gets anymore serios because I don't want to hurt her. But every time we have 'the talk' she cries and convinces me to re-think. I know what I want but its really hard and I struggle with breaking the news to her because of how much she cries and begs.

Can someone please help ?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a very similar situation, but on the girl's end. My ex didn't handle it so well though. I guess it was hurting him too because he tried to be brutal about it so I wouldn't like him anymore and I would hate him instead. That's a really bad idea, don't do that haha.

You have to make it clear to her that you don't have feelings for her. It doesn't matter if you do, just tell her you don't. Because if she thinks there are lingering feelings, then she'll latch onto that. You should definitely reassure her that it's nothing she did and you did have genuine feelings for her but you're just not ready for that kind of commitment.

Be open to talking about it and answering any questions she has... don't ignore her. But don't get into really deep conversations either. Just give her short answers if she asks about the relationship. But yeah you're going to have to give her space, definitely don't be her friend straight away, tell her you can't do that, but definitely be there to clear up any confusion about the break up. But... she's crying and begging a lot which is something I didn't do, so if it gets too much and she gets hysterical, you might have to start ignoring her. But tell her why you're ignoring her before you start lol.

I feel like that would be my best case scenario if someone had to break up with me :) I feel like this way it'll lessen the pain a lot.

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• not sure what you meant by being intimate. if you are not into a committed relationship why do you want to get intimate with her?that's going to hurt her

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow. Good for you for doing this. I know a lot of guys who wouldn't.

Just tell her what you told us - you don't see yourself reciprocating the commitment she's looking for and you don't feel as though it's fair to her to continue the relationship. It sounds like a very one sided relationship.

She's going to cry - there's nothing you can do about that. You're just going to have to stay strong and hold your ground. My advice is to do it sooner rather than later before she gets even more attached.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no easy way out of this one. Telling someone something that they don't want to hear, something that will hurt their feelings, is a difficult task. It makes us uncomfortable, it makes us hurt FOR that other person. The unfortunate thing is, there's nothing you can do to lighten it up. Ya just gotta tell her you think she's a great girl, but you just aren't at a point in your life where you are ready for a serious commitment. There is NOTHING wrong with that. You have to be true to yourself and where you are at in life. Plus, it would be unfair to her, to keep her around to avoid 'hurting her feelings', only to toss her off X amount of months down the road, after she has invested even more into the relationship. It won't feel good, and there are not wonderful terms to a break up, it is what it is, painful, but usually painfully necessary. Good luck to you.

2|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• just have to man up and do it. Yes, it sucks, but if that's the way you feel, you have to act on it. Because NOT doing this will make you unhappy, which will lead to a crappy relationship and life. It's hard, but it's gotta be done. Just be honest with her, it's the only way things can end on good terms.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly it's impossible to break up on good terms.. Just peel the band-aid off it's hard to say that I know but there is no good way to do it except to just do it

0|0
    0|0
  • she's too clingy :/

just tell her what you wrote here

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes