How to break-up on good terms?

Me and my girlfriend have been dating for a month and a half, and we like each other. We just started getting intimate recently, and she wants a long-term relationship, often talking about our future. She told me she's really falling for me , and she's half-way there to being falling for me all the way. I'm not ready for that kind of commitement and I'm not ready for a relationship.

I want to end things before she gets anymore serios because I don't want to hurt her. But every time we have 'the talk' she cries and convinces me to re-think. I know what I want but its really hard and I struggle with breaking the news to her because of how much she cries and begs.

Can someone please help ?

43

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a very similar situation, but on the girl's end. My ex didn't handle it so well though. I guess it was hurting him too because he tried to be brutal about it so I wouldn't like him anymore and I would hate him instead. That's a really bad idea, don't do that haha.

You have to make it clear to her that you don't have feelings for her. It doesn't matter if you do, just tell her you don't. Because if she thinks there are lingering feelings, then she'll latch onto that. You should definitely reassure her that it's nothing she did and you did have genuine feelings for her but you're just not ready for that kind of commitment.

Be open to talking about it and answering any questions she has... don't ignore her. But don't get into really deep conversations either. Just give her short answers if she asks about the relationship. But yeah you're going to have to give her space, definitely don't be her friend straight away, tell her you can't do that, but definitely be there to clear up any confusion about the break up. But... she's crying and begging a lot which is something I didn't do, so if it gets too much and she gets hysterical, you might have to start ignoring her. But tell her why you're ignoring her before you start lol.

I feel like that would be my best case scenario if someone had to break up with me :) I feel like this way it'll lessen the pain a lot.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE