My boyfriend of 2.5 years left me for someone else. Is there a chance he'll come back?

Hey, guys. So, my ex and I dated for 2.5 years and it was great. Except one month before we broke up, when he started getting colder towards me. Turns out he was trying to make me break up with him because he wanted to be with the other girl (such a coward, I know!). And the weird thing is that he was always a really decent guy throughout the whole relationship.

It's been 3 months since then and 2 months of NC. However, I talked to him last month once and noticed he still cared for me and missed me. I also think he's just infatuated with this girl, because he sees her everyday and it's something new. When we were together, we talked all the time, but weren't together phisically a lot because of our schedules.

Ever since we broke up, I've been having conflicted feelings about whether I should take him back if it comes to that. And what I'd like to know is if you guys know of any situation where this happened or if you think it's possible he'll want me back in the future (I don't want to know if you think we should get back or not).

Thanks guys. Like I said, it's been 3 months since it finished. I've decided to move on, even though I know it won't be easy. In September I'm starting college and I guess it will be a good time to start a new phase of my life. About my ex, I can't say I won't take him back if he somehow decides he wants me back, but I'd at least try to make sure he changed. We are both too young (him especially) to appreciate what he has.

Thank you all very much for your advice.

624

Most Helpful Guy

• Exact same situation here. Was with girlfriend for 2.5 years, she met a friend of a friend on a "girls' night" out and started talking to him. Broke up with me a month later. Completely took me by surprise, I never figured that she'd be capable of that kind of disloyalty. She immediately started spending basically all her time with him.

I've broke NC through text a few times, mostly to see if she was going to a show that I wanted to go to, because I know he'll be there with her, and seeing them together is something I'm just not ready to deal with yet.

It sucks, because I still love her, but I hate her for what she did. I can't imagine taking her back. How would I know that this sh*t wouldn't just happen again in another year? If she was capable of being so goddamned treacherous with me once, how could I possibly trust her?

Anyway, yeah, it's entirely possible that he'll wake up one day and be like "wow, what the f*ck am I doing?" but I really don't think it's likely.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE