Why would an ex boyfriend randomly contact me after over a year apart?

Things didn't end too well with us and he hurt me pretty bad. I wake up today to see a text from him. He was asking how I was doing and he said that he "really missed talking to me."

I couldn't care less about him at this point. I'm 100% over him and I'm now in a relationship that I'm so happy to be in.

I'm rather confused as to why he would contact me, especially when he told me he was engaged two months after we broke up.
He says that he regrets breaking up with me and that it was a "huge f**cking mistake". He wants another chance. Honestly, I think he's just lonely and thinks that I'm still naive like I was when we were together. He said him and his fiance broke up about 4 months ago and he "happened" to remember my number. So I told him that I have a boyfriend that I'm happily with and that it's not going to change. He wants to be friends now. I don't think it's a good idea.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• He is probably being honest about missing you and was just reaching out to see if you would respond. I would. Tell him life is great! You're in a healthy relatinship that makes you happy. Don't leave it open ended, like asking, how are you? That gives him reason to keep corresponding with you. Just end it with, "Hope things are good for you, take care." Then you've been polite, you've shown him that you've moved on and that even if he were contacting you to get back with you, you aren't interested. It also means you do not have to respond if he contacts you again because, 'take care', is not an invitation to continue talking.