What do you do when you find out your partner was married?

I guess skip this first paragraph if you don't really care about what happened. But I need to vent.. I'm so mind f***ed right now.

His mother owns the home we live in and some of her stuff is still in it. Well she said I could remove some things from a closet so we'd have more space for our things. Some of his exes things were in the closet. I found some of her things in a different closet before and his mother told me that she didn't have anywhere to live so she kept some things here but "did NOT live here". Well in this bag when I found more things were affidavits and whatever else saying how they were married and all this drama that happened before the divorce.

Okay so I knew he had trouble with his ex... he never talks about his past but I was fine with that because I didn't feel its my place to pry... but isn't that something you mention if you are in a relationship with someone... coming up on FIVE YEARS...

What do I say? Or do I say anything? Do I even have a right to be upset? How am I suppose to feel right now? What do I do? I know its not like he is still currently married... but I don't know I'm REALLY put off that he didn't tell me. Also that his mother didn't tell me... and brother didn't tell me... NO ONE TOLD ME.

I feel like a stupid idiot and I'm really upset.
Thank you all for your answers. Well I should of added what I did know. He did tell me his previous relationship was really horrible. She made things up to get money from the state, then made things up and made him lose his job, accused him of stealing things she never owned, and so many other things. When it was time for court she never showed up there or around here again. They (he and his family) found out that she had done this before back where she's from in NY. That's why I never pushed
the issue to know more because I knew he went through hell with her and when they met she needed things from the beginning and he as just trying to help her. What I found out was that they ran off one weekend and got married. She lived with him when he was still living with his mom and she put their whole family through a lot. I think she had some serious problems. I talked to him again, after I've calmed down and rationally thought about it all and thought of all your answers. I told him
That I don't care about her or anything that happened in the relationship and that he doesn't need to explain anything like that to me. But that I need him to be upfront with me about everything even if he feels its insignificant or stupid and that if there's anything else he needs to tell me now was the time. He said there was nothing else and I don't know we'll just see how it goes. Just thank you all again. I didn't really know how to handle this and had no one to talk to in the moment.

54

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, you can be sure that his mother and brother didn't tell you because your boyfriend (husband?) didn't want them to.

I would imagine that this woman was a disaster, and that more than anything, he is likely deeply embarrassed that he married this woman. He probably feels like he made a huge, stupid mistake, and that if he'd told you, and had to tell you the story, that he'd have lost your respect for being so stupid.

Obviously, you're more hurt that he kept it a secret, and I totally get that. I don't even AGREE with his decision not to tell you, but I DO *understand* it.

Clearly he wants nothing to do with this woman; he's not in contact with her or any of that. He's not cheating on you, and cut all his ties with her before you were ever around. I realize you are upset, and I get it, but you need to remember that he didn't LIE to you, or betray you in any way. He just declined to air his dirty laundry from his past, which doesn't really affect you in any way.

Try to keep that perspective as you think about this. What he did wasn't great, and it isn't what I'd have advised him to do, but ultimately, he didn't really do anything WRONG, he just wasn't as open as he should have been. That's not the worst crime in the world, by far.