Question for "once a cheater, always a cheater" believers..

I often read "I lose interest in dating him/her once I find out that he/she cheated, no matter how compatible we are or how attractive he/she is"... but

What would you do if you find out years into the relationship (and possibly living together) that your love has cheated on an ex before? He/she never got caught and never regretted or felt guilty about it, but swears he/she has never cheated on you and will never cheat on you.

Would you break up even though you didn't see any signs that he/she's cheated on you, because

a. you start suspecting you were cheated on too

b. you believe him/her that he/she hasn't cheated on you, but you believe he/she will in the future?

Would you stay with him/her, because

c. there were no signs of him/her cheating on you.

d. you change your mind and people can change even without getting caught/feeling extreme guilt?
maybe I should clarify: choose either a, b, c or d.

54

Most Helpful Girl

• No I would not break up.

I cheated once before myself. It happened for many reasons but unhappiness, a souring relationship and no intimacy was the foundation of it. So I can identify with certain reasons anyone could cheat.

a) No, with a but. If our relationship has a very healthy sex life there it is a very low chance he would cheat unless he was hooked on it. Only if his sex drive towards me dropped off would I suspect

b) not good enough reason

C) Yes, for sure I would stay

D)yes, once a cheat not always a cheater. It depends on many factors. If one cheats it does you must ask why. Is it 100% the cheater fault?

• Do you regret or feel guilty that you cheated instead of ending your unhappiness/relationship right there?

• Is it the cheater's fault? That's a good one. Who's fault could it possibly be. If you're unhappy then leave. If someone chooses to cheat, it's no one's fault but their own.

• At times felt guilty but then I realized it was the best thing I did because it made things crystal clear. That I (even though I had love for him) could not stay in the relationship long term. I need a sexual person with passion, and it was not who he was. I realized I could not make him what he was not. I broke up the relationship a couple months later. Not for another man but for myself.