Guys, what do I do after a huge fight and makeup session..?

Long story short, we've been together almost 8 months and get along great. But, in the last 2 months, we've had 2 pretty big fights. He got jealous, we fought and made up. I did something stupid (didn't cheat) we fought and made up again but he said some REALLY terribly hurtful things during the fight and basically broke up with me. He contacted me, we talked it out and he asked me back. It's been about 3 weeks and I still can't get over some of the things he said to me. I'm afraid if I bring up my feelings 3 weeks after the fact, it'll make things worse but I jst can't give 100% of myself to our relationship right now because I can't get this off my mind. Should I talk to him or just let it go and be glad he forgave me for doing what I did...?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• Did he or did he not apologize for the hurtful things he said to you?

If not, you should ask him to. Do not accept invalid attempts at externalization ("I said it because you set me off!"). While we all have a right to be angry, we do not have a right to lose control of ourselves in our anger. People often do. That's why they should say they're sorry when it happens.

If he has already apologized, then why haven't you forgiven him yet?

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Wow, great response. Well, you hit it exactly right on. He basically said, "I was just so mad, I don't even remember saying some of those things I was that mad." And my response was exactly what you said, "when I fight, I am so careful of the things I say because you can't take them back and you can't make the other person forget."

He did apologize, multiple times but I feel like there is a lot of truth behind the things he said and I just can't shake it.

• Thanks :) Well, you got your apology. You should let it go. Rmember, angry words are often designed to get under the skin, often striking close to various truisms or just twisting them a little. Try to believe the best in each other. :)