My son doesn't like my long term boyfriend?

I have been with my boyfriend almost 6 years, my son is 7. Most of the time they have a great relationship and I know my boyfriend loves my son very much.

My boyfriend can have a temper, and sometimes when he's in a bad mood he doesn't think before he speaks. So the other night he had his bad moment, yelled and carried on and slammed a door. My son afterward went on to tell me that he doesn't like him and wants to move away, Again, this only happens once and a while. He is not physical towards us at all.

What should I do? Should I move my son and I out? I love my boyfriend, he is good to us. Would I be wrong to stay with him?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• he's a child so while his opinion shouldn't be totally disregarded and of course as his mother you want to do everything for him you can...but this is an issue that needs to be addressed between you and your boyfriend. Let him know that you can handle the ocasional fight but that it has a very big impact on your son. He's only a child but it makes him uncomfortable to the point that he doesn't want to be around you. So let him know that you want him to be around and 99% of the time your son does too... but your dude has got to learn how to handle his anger around a child. Not only because it may make the child uncomfortable but it isn't a good influence or role model to see an adult male behaving like that

good luck!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• Kids are one-dimensional and easily put off. Don't panic and move out until you've given your son time to get over his initial fear-based reaction.

Tell your boyfriend to watch his behavior around a child, They don't put things in perpsective as adults..well, SHOULD do. A lot of adults aren't good at putting things in perspective, either.

But I digress. We're talking your son here. Your boyfriend has to learn how to behave around him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would you move out? Because your son decided one time to voice the idea that he didn't like the guy?

You've got the staying power of last years Christmas sellotape.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, your boyffiend shouldn't yell and slam doors. If he wants to shout or swear or whatever, he should do it where and when no one will hear him. Maybe you should tell your boyfriend that. Yelling and so on is widespread behavior among men (and among women), but these urges can and should be controlled. I'm sure there's plenty of people just as stressed as your boyfriend.

You can't have your son make decisions like this for you.

Just tell your son that sometimes adults get angry but he loves you both very much. Tell your boyfriend to be more considerate.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Oh, hell no. Unacceptable. He is a grown man throwing a temper tantrum at a seven year old, it doesn't matter how often it happens because it should NEVER happen. You don't need to leave him right away, but you do need to make it very clear that you will NOT tolerate that kind of behavior towards your child from an adult. Ever.

If you can fix it, then fix it, but if you can't, your son HAS to come first.

Do you really want your son raised around a man who not only can't control his anger, but takes that anger out on small children?

Also, think about it, you've been living with this man since he was a year old, he is the only father your son has ever known. Children don't typically try to break their parents up, even when THEY'RE having a bit of a temper tantrum. If your son is really THAT upset, maybe there are some other problems you don't know about.

0|0
    0|0
  • dont be those type of women who choses a man over her kid, what should be important for you is that you kid is comfortable in his home

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes