Moving to the south, what to expect?

So I've lived in the chicago area my entire life and will shortly be moving to nashville TN for school. I generally know what to expect and quite frankly I think it will be for the better. I was raised a christian (though I'm now atheist), and I tend to have more conservative political views as well as lifestyle. So I like to think I'll fit right in, even though I'm coming from a much more liberal and progressive area.

What I mainly want to know is how my lack of religious faith will bode with the people of Tennessee which I know is part of the bible belt? Again, I was raised on christian values so I generally live my life like a christian, I just don't' believe in god anymore nor do I go to church. Will I be an outcast for this, or is the stereotype about the bible belt exaggerated?

46

Most Helpful Girl

• It shouldn't make much of a difference. At least not with the younger population. We're *generally speaking* a lot less "strict" with things like that than the older more traditional population. Just to be honest, you may be an outcast at first but once you make more friends and learn southern customs then you'll be fine.

I love living in the South. You'll get used to our different expressions and way of talking. We say "ya'll" a lot. I don't live in Tennessee though, I live in Virginia.

Southern food is the best in my opinion though. There's nothing like home cooked fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and cornbread. Lol Sweet tea is the norm and basically a way of life. Haha And if you order tea at a restaurant it will automatically come sweetened so if you don't want that then you should specify unsweetened.

I don't think you'll have any problems:)