Am I a past-dweller?

I like to listen to 90s songs because they remind me of my childhood and teenage years, I tend to over-analyze things, I treasure memories and every disappointment changed me at least a little bit. I feel like I can't really move on from things. I have this need to find an answer as to why things happen or didn't happen. However, I'm also a rational person, who likes to use logic. I think maybe that's why I like to find the explanation to everything.

I also treasure nice memories I had with people and when things change, it hurts and it takes me a long time until I feel better again. But even then I can't say that I've "moved on". I just don't feel as bad anymore, but some of the hurt is always still there, even after a lot of years have gone by. I realized that when I hang out with my friends I often talk about past experiences, serious or not.

Am I someone who dwells in the past? If yes, on a scale of 1-10, how unattractive is it? (10 being really unattractive) What could I do to stop being like this? I'm not a dreamer, so I don't have big dreams and obsess over them or focus my actions on them. I don't want to be a big dreamer either. So what should I focus on? The present?

43

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm like that to. It was worse before and it would make me depressed sometimes because I would justify the present by my past experiences, therefore sabotaging my self. It was preventing me from doing new things and taking risks. I just had to change my mindset and think positive. I think about the present and how the present will affect my future and that the past is already gone and does not influence the outcome of any new endeavors. Yes I still treasure my memories, good or bad because they made me who I am today but that's all they are now. Just memories. Feeling guilty for what you can't change won't help. If there's something unresolved in your past, remember there's nothing you can do to change the past. Now, you can make your choices and change your course in life so you make new memories.There's nothing wrong with thinking about the past but just remember not to live in the past.