Is it worth fighting for?

I broke up with my ex about a week ago due to family problems and parental pressure. We've been together about 3 months and had little to no problems, but my controlling parents hate him and they've basically forced me to cut off all contact with him. He agreed with my decision, saying it'd be impossible to date me in my current situation, but that he's open to getting back together if we ever meet again and circumstances are right.

He called me a couple days ago, trying to persuade me to move out, but I know my parents and if I do that, they'll disown me and stop paying my college tuition. I only have one more year of school left and I can't afford to take loans out by myself due to legal restrictions. I have a place to stay and enough money for grad school applications, but that's completely useless if I can't graduate from college and it would also mean completely cutting myself off from my family.

I don't want to have to choose between him and my family, but I miss him so much lately and it hurts so bad. I know he still feels the same way as me. I want to ask him to take a chance on us and its just another few months of waiting. Once school starts, I can make excuses to see him again. Would it be selfish of me to ask him to try again? Or should I just keep to myself and brave through this year in hopes that after I leave for grad school, we can maybe try something?

I feel like some things are once in a lifetime and if they are worth it, you should hang on to them. But I guess I'm just afraid and don't know if this relationship is one of those things or if I'm just really missing him and not thinking straight. :(

11

Most Helpful Guy

• Let me put it this way, your family will always be there for you, will he be? Blood is thicker than water, right now when everything's fresh of course it's good but when the sh*t hits the fan your going to look super silly going back home when everyone 'told' you so. Your parents have probably seen somthing which your blinded at the moment. I think what I'm trying to say is your parents are very unlikely to make a deliberate 'bad' decision for their own daughter. Show some respect to them and not essentially to a stranger who probably doesn't care that much about you in a few months time. Now I know what your thinking, you know him inside out etc do you really?

I was with my ex for 7 years she made me move out like you, my family was against it, in the end she cheated on me after everything I did for her. Choice is yours and I may be completely wrong but if I were you I would play it safe for the time being.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you for your advice. I've been thinking about this and I came to the same conclusion. It still doesn't hurt any less, but you are absolutely right.

• It may turn out OK but might not, best to play it safe, your young so there's no need to rush. You can start from scratch and make loads of mistakes and learn on the way 'or' take your parents advice who have probably most likely already made loads of mistakes in their time and learnt from them, and can now see their own daughter making the same mistake. Of course they will try and guide you and ensure you do t make the same mistake as they did, put yourself in their position, what would you do