Why does my boyfriend want a break?

I have been really depressed lately and the death of my friend just made things worse for me. My boyfriend is usually always there to comfort me at the worst of times. I know I was being cold and distant to him, but instead of helping like usual, he asked if I would be okay if he took a break. Why would he want to take a break when I'm at a low point in my life?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• he's probabyl feeling like he can't deal with the stress anymore. he probably hopes that you will start to get out of your depressed state and be more like the girl that he dated in the past. I know it probably sucks feeling like he is there for you. but it can be difficult (especially when you are young) to feel like you are capable of being able to be there for someone who seems to always be depressed. frankly in any relationship unless you are married (even if you are married) if you are dealing with depression you can begin to wonder if you can really be that empathetic person constantly and for the forseeable future.

sorry about the death of your friend. I've lost friends tragically and I know it's tough...good luck!