Avoid ex girlfriend or face my fear

So, my ex girlfriend dumped about 7 months ago after almost a year of dating. I was pretty hurt by the whole thing and tried to get her back at the time, but she said that she simply never loved me and felt were weren't suitable for the long term.

We are in the same community and share friends. She and I get invited to the same functions sometimes. While I would love to go to spend time with my friends and possibly meet someone, my ex's presence bothers me. I usually get upset when I see her. I have not seen her yet with another dude, but I know that will happen and it will feel like a kick in the balls.

Should I purposely avoid going to functions where I know my ex will be even though my friends want me there and there will be other women there to meet? Or should I simply "man up" and confront my fears, even if it means accepting some heartache and pain? No pain, no gain?
We were somewhat friendly with each other after the breakup, but then she turned cold and nasty when she found out I started dating again (nothing serious and I am not currently seeing anyone). She also saw me sitting with an attractive female friend at a function.

I have feeling that my ex will try to through any guy she is with in my face. I have been nothing but gracious towards her since the breakup. Maybe if I keep being gracious, I can kill her with kindness and she will be civil.

42

Most Helpful Girl

• face your fear and tell ehr to eff off

• Thanks, but while I am willing to go to a place where she will be, I certainly do not want to be rude. I have felt better about myself that I was willing to be gracious even though she hurt me (although I admit that I was not the perfect boyfriend and took her for granted at times). And won't it might make her feel dumb if I am kind rather than bitter towards her?