Why is biology an acceptable reason as to why females shouldn't pursue but it isn't for why men cheat?

Curious.

I've seen on here so many questions on why men should initiate/why women don't, and the "best" answer is usually biology/testosterone and that's an acceptable answer.

But, when someone asks why men are prone to cheating , and you give them a correct answer, its seen as a cop out

Why

Not saying cheating is right by any means.

0|2

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's an acceptable reason in either case. We're not slaves to our biology.

Though, I would say that the difference between the two things is that cheating is unethical, but not approaching people is pretty neutral.

8|4
    0|0
    • I agree with your view here. Though women really should learn to disregard the dumb social rules they grew up on like having to be asked for their number rather than asking or being approached rather than approaching. It's dumb seeing questions from girls asking how to get a guy to approach them or ask for their number. I've been approached by some girls in the past who wanted to talk to me and it's always a delightful change of pace. Take note ladies, you can & should make your own moves.

• Show All
    • It's actually quite surprising to me the amount of women here who are strongly opposed to asking men out. And it's not even just "I'm too shy/I'm afraid of rejection", but people who actually still believe that it's the "guy's job". I don't know if it has to do with culture/location, or what, but even growing up, I didn't share that view. I just thought that if you liked someone, you asked them out. The first time I asked a boy out was in the 7th grade and I've been doing it ever since.

• Frostie: What I mean is that we're capable of holding views and acting contrary to our "biological urges".

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• Because cheating on a partner or choosing to not approach someone is not biology, they are choices.

If cheating was biology, we would see much more cheating than there is now.

Both of those reasons are just cop outs for people who refuse to take responsibility for their life choices.

If you want a relationship to work out, then don't cheat. If you are sick of getting approached by the wrong guys, then start approaching the right ones.

3|0
    0|0
    • To be honest, I believe there is more cheating going on that anybody knows. What we see as you worded it is just those who get caught, but I've known so many people who I've witnessed cheating on their partner (both guy and girl) and we all just keep our mouth shuts and say it was a mistake. I don't think any of it is right but I don't rate out my friends to their partner who I don't even know. Though I do tell my friends that I think it's wrong what they did and f***ed up.

• It's a cop out for either excuse. We're not primitive little monkeys anymore and we can think past our biological instincts. It sounds like both of those questions would have come from women so the difference is women tend to be biased when they're picking those answers.

2|2
    0|0
    • Most respectable answer on here.

Unfortunately, majority of human beings still live their lives off of their instincts. In other words, acting like primitive monkeys.

• I don't think either of them are acceptable. They're excuses, not reasons or facts. Also, I've never really heard any woman blame biology for their lack of interest in pursuing men? But then again, I don't pay much attention to these things because I think they're dumb.

0|0
    0|0
    • usually it's a guy that brings up testosterone and years of evolution and then a mob of females agrees

• Because in one situation someone is betrayed while in the other no one is.

Regardless,in both situations it's a stupid excuse. Men love being pursued and those that don't have dominance issues which is a major red flag and indications of problems later on.

0|1
    1|1
  • it's not about biology, it's sociology.

if men want women to start asking them out they should stop judging women on their sexuality while acting like two dollar whores themselves.

3|2
    1|2
    • in my experience, women do the vast majority of judging women on their sexuality. Only the 'fringe' men do, and no one pays much attention to them anyway..

• Show All
    • It's biology. It's called evolution.

• biology is a reason why women cheat, sometimes they fancy an alpha male, sometimes they fancy the weak man to look after the child they had with the alpha male. I watched a documentary on it by Dr Winston. It's all to do with their period cycle.

0|0
    0|1
  • Biology is a ridiculous excuse for either of those questions.

0|0
    0|0
  • B/c it's instinctive

0|0
    1|2
    • But how does that make okay for one gender but not the other? Which is the question that was asked...

• Because its their opinion

0|0
    0|1
  • it is not

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• I think we use biology as an excuse incorrectly all the time. Biology is the study of life. It's the study of what IS or WAS happening not necessarily what SHOULD happen. Women may be more inclined to wait and not pursue because of their biological make up but it doesn't mean they should. Men may be more biologically inclined to cheat (and women are too actually) but that doesn't mean they should. What is natural isn't always best. But because there is less psychological pain involved with the whole "pursue or be pursued" thing as opposed to the "cheating is natural" thing people are more lenient and don't bother with opposing it as much. Sounds like you already knew this though. So I guess my answer is because cheating causes more psychological pain (or we believe that it will) it makes us more anxious when we think about it and makes us more inclined to oppose any notion that could suggest cheating is permissible even though it may not be suggesting that at all. So in short, biology. That's just my opinion though. I hope I explained myself well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Expectations from women culturally. Pay no heed to them. I dont, theyll tell you a million ways to do something than cant. I do my own thing. If I ask for an opinion, ill listen, but the ones who are constant with how,what, a man "is" and "is supposed" to be based on their fantasy, is pure bullsh*t.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men aren't more prone to cheating, they just get caught more because they aren't as good socially (therefore can't lie nearly as well). I remember reading something like 15% of dads who think they are the biological father of a child are actually not, some scary sh*t right there haha.

To actually answer you question its because most people are complete hypocrites, myself included.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because people pick and choose what parts of biology they approve of and disregard the ones that stop us from being civilized.

The funny part is depending on conversations their views on biology and society will flip flop.

Cognitive Dissonance hurts so people do what they can to keep their world view in check.

0|1
    1|0
  • Anything that works in your favor is awesome.

Anything that works against your favor sucks ass.

Simple logic. Refuse the sh*t. Accept the gold.

1|3
    0|0
  • We as an intelligent species have a higher cognitive functioning in our brain that overrules our basic instinct. When men cheat, part of it is because they are horny (instinct), but the majority of the decision comes from a cognitive decision to pursue another women because of their own personal reasoning to do so. If women say that they don't approach or pursue as you put it because of biology (which I've never heard before), part of it might come from a woman's desire to be lead, be dominated, or be submissive (instinct), but the majority of it comes from a cognitive ideal they developed while growing up learning that it is like a law of nature that a man should make the moves/do the work. These aren't instincts, these are LEARNED behaviors based on the way their society worked and taught them while they grew up.

That should answer your question, both are wrongful answers using base instincts as excuses for what is the real reason.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's exactly why I think it's fine if a man cheats on his woman.

0|0
    4|1
  • Because women like it both ways.

0|0
    0|0
  • hmmmmm very good point

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes