I really can't sleep this has been on my mind. Why do boys insist on showering girls with presents??

I feel really bad and cheap in my relationship. I come from a low middle class income family my boyfriend comes from a rich family. We've been together for a year and two months and he ALWAYS showers me with gifts. I have money but not that much and I do work as a waitress part time to get some money. I am in college and so is he. But his parents all give him money so he doesn't have to work because they want him to focus on his ambition to become an engineer and make me happy. We share a small apartment together. He buys me a lot of things like shoes, sweaters, jewlery, bouquets of flowers, chocolate, candy etc. Basically anything I see at the mall I really like and I don't have enough money to buy and leave he goes back the next day when I'm not home and buys it for me. I've tried to talk to him about it and he says he loves doing it and he doesn't mind. I do buy him stuff once in a while and make him stuff or cook special meals for him. I save money because I want to help pay for the bills and grocerys. Should I just let him do it? Girls do you enjoy it when your man does this or do you feel guilty? Men do you actually like spoiling your girlfriend like crazy?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• aww that's so nice of him! well look, he clearly really cares bout you and it seems he'll go out of his way to make you happy and treat you like his princess:)

being from a different 'wealth level' isn't a concern for your boyfriend, if it was I doubt he'd be with u:) and I'm sure you love him for who he is too=] he's generous, that's a nice quality in a guy. if he insists on doing it, don't take that happiness away from him:) I understand that ud feel bad and stuff, I totally get that, but at the same time, appreciate that your getting flowers and lovely gifts instead of nothing but a broken heart. let that love shine girl:)

all the best x

0|0
    0|0
    • That's exactly what he said to me in our second month of dating that to himI would always be a princess.

Yeah I guess that's true it is better than being heart broken!(:

• Well there you go:)

It is much better. Ur blessed darling:P

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• well several things could be at play but what's most important is that it seems like he really loves you and wants to show you. I would only be concerned if it seems the only way he can show his affection is through buying gifts.

I understand your feelings. I have a tough time accepting gifts from anyone at anytime. I always feel this sense of owing them. fact is though that gift giving should be one of the most altruistic things people do, as long as it is done for the right reason.

If you would honestly prefer fewer gifts I think you should just tell him. Or just don't show tons of interest in stuff when you too go out.

I love giving my girlfriend gifts but I also try to make them significant. Like a great date night or pretty flower, or clothing and I also don't do it too often. I want my gifts to seem special and unique, but I absolutely love giving my girlfriend a gift to show her how much I appreciate her

0|0
    0|0
  • Men have often grown up with the message that spending money is how men show they care.

0|0
    0|0
  • If he wants to do it, let him.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd never spoil someone like that. Too much money spent especially if I don't get the same amount of gifts given back. I don't understand why people enjoy doing that but some people think woman mind of demand that kind of attention with gifts

0|0
    1|0
  • It's actually media driven.

Whether it's chocolate companies or perfume companies or florists, men are bombarded with advertising which says "If you love her (or just like her) then buy her this"

If you think it's easy to ignore that sort of barrage of messaging, then let's see the girls stop believing their advertising crap for 5 minutes.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Learn to appreciate what he does for you and just enjoy it. You could have the opposite problem and be with a man who does nothing to try and make you smile.count your blessings

0|0
    0|0
  • i think the gesture is sweet...but I don't really like that. I wouldn't want him to buy things for me always. idk. it would make me feel weird.

0|0
    1|0
  • That's sweet. Just appreciate it. He is just trying to show his love for you.

1|0
    0|0
  • just accept gifts if the guy gives them to you

0|0
    0|0
  • wlel I don't think he notice show much he spends with you. just appreciate it, and I get what you are saying I would also try and chip in as much as I could on the bills, even if its not that big of a deal fro him it would still be for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • He is the ideal fairy tale man! Let him spoil you and spoil him back, he's an old fashioned guy, one who's hard to come by. Don't let him go because he really loves you! I'd love to have a guy like him. :}

2|0
    0|0
    • Yeah he is the ideal man... The one that's family oriented and loves kids.(:

Don't worry I am sure you'll find him sooner or later if you are not in a relationship right now.(:

• He probably wants to sleep with u...

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes