Do you think the majority of guys just care about looks before everything else?

The girl could have an amazing personality, could be super sweet to to the guy, be an ambitious smart person all that. However, what it comes down to is "is she hot or not?"

Whereas, if a girl didn't like a guy at first physically but hen she got to know him, there's a huge potential for a long-term relationship.

I'm wondering because I'm seeing this trend amongst my girlfriends and myself. The girlfriends that are considered "pretty" "hot" etc. all have a husband, boyfriend or guys chasing them. Whereas, the average or not-so-much lookers can try and try and guys will just leave them or reject them right out in the first place. My girlfriend's ex boyfriend actually got engaged to a girl 6 months after meeting her while he dated her for 2 years and abused and then left her. He randomly called her and told her how he misses her because he could actually hold a proper conversation with her and she's smart (she's becoming a doc.) Whereas, his fiance is super hot but he can't have those same conversations with her...yet picks the super hot girl instead.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Obviously this is going to be a case by case issue. If we are generalizing here then I think that men are much more visual than women. It is a power symbol to have a really attractive woman and it is a huge confidence booster.

Men get their intellectual stimulation and companionship from work and other friends a lot and when they get home need some good sex and encouragement.

I don't think that you are necessarily correct in saying that looks is the most important factor with men but it is certainly the first factor that you notice. Generally, men are the ones pursuing women so it makes sense to pursue the ones that look the best. You don't really get to know her personality and other qualities until you spend more time with her and that is when you get to know her better on a deeper level. IMO I think knowing her on a deeper lever and being compatible is more important than dating the most attractive girl you can swing but you have to put it into context of how dating works. Attractive girls date a lot more than unattractive girls so they are better at by virtue of experience.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• i actually think the majority of guys look for more than just physical appearance in women. I think there is a very loud vocal minority that make it seem like physical appearance is most important but I think on the whole if you could say ask every single guy (privately and candidly) they'd admit that while appearance is a factor or even important it isn't the most important

0|0
    0|0
    • but looks for both men and women from an evolutionary standpoint is important. science shows that attractiveness to a partner exponentially increases the likelihood of pro-creating. If we believe that (regardless of your religion) one of our primary tasks on this Earth to pro-create then we should also understand that physical attractiveness is important to men and women as a whole

• Yeah that does make sense. In my case I want to be attracted to the girl, but I find most women attractive though. Assuming they are decent looking, I'd prefer things like getting along well, having a intellectual spark, and sexual compatibleness. If you're really good looking it's great, but I've been with many stunning looking women, and it isn't always the most fulfilling or pleasant relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to be attracted to someone initially to want to get to know them. THen you find out the things that make you want to stay with them.

1|2
    0|0
  • I would suggest that people pick members of the opposite sex for these reasons:

A. Biological attraction (subconscious attraction)

B. Reproduction (good mother, good provider, stable family environment)

C. Social standing (respect of others, especially friends and/or family)

D. Compatibility (how well they get along, same beliefs, same intelligence)

The key is the priority that each person assigns to these factors. If you would survey men and women, you may find that on average different genders could have a different set of priorities. Note that age can be a significant influence as well: as a person ages their priorities may change (when they were teenagers B didn't have as much significance as it did 10 years later, although B still may on average have been a higher priority for women than it was for men).

It may be worthwhile to consider the priorities of your partner, and how well they match your own...

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say yeah, we're very visual creatures. Here's my theory though, I've seen women go ballistic over a very hot guy also, but it's a lot more rare. Why is this? Are they just pickier?

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop being a hypocrite women do the same thing. I can also add that the majority of women will only date a guy for his looks and income.

1|1
    1|0
  • The first factor is 'is she hot'. That's what determines whether he'd want to date her, period.

If she's hot, the next factors that tend to matter to men are:

- do we get along

- is she sweet/nice

- is she faithful

Things like her job status, ability to converse on detailed topics, etc, are of passing interest to most men. They're pleasant but not required. Most already get their fix of 'intelligent conversation' elsewhere. What they don't get from male friends is warm affection and caring.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes! case closed.

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah I car emore for looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most men and women in general care more about looks then anything else. It's human nature.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Beauty gives girls extra advantage and power. Instead of lamenting, become one of those girls

0|0
    0|0
  • i don't think so

0|0
    0|0
  • That's how everyone is

0|1
    0|0
  • yes guys are way more visual than us, they like the girl physically then se who she is, while girls see the body but then se ethe personality to know if they would date the guy or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • From what I've seen and heard (here and irl), yes. They care about other things too, but for most men, it seems like looks are number 1. I think that's true for women as well though.

0|1
    0|1

Recommended myTakes