Will he come back to me? And if so, should I take him back? I know this is too long, but it's tearing me apart

My ex (19) and I (almost 18) had an amazing relationship of almost 2 years. It was great in every aspect and we could never get enough of each other. I and everyone around us thought we didn't have any problems and that we were inseperable. We just complete each other in a very special way.

We were supposed to do the long-distance thing from October for a year, since he's going to university (after which I would move to the same city, since my dream university is there). However, he confessed to me that he was in love (and had been kissing) with another girl which he met from LoL and broke things off with me feeling very guilty and begging me to stay close.

For the first three days, being broken up didn't change a lot of things. We kept texting each other all the time, talking on the phone together until we fall asleep. We went out and we held hands and kissed as if nothing had changed. He told me multiple times that he still loved me, how he had made his biggest mistake and even implied that we could still be together while he's in university. I tried to ask him things like why he did what he did/what he wants from me/what he wants from her, etc. but he couldn't answer any of them and started crying and apologizing.

On the next day I finally gathered up the courage to break all ties with him, seeing as I couldn't be the second option/an all-forgiving doormat anymore. We haven't had any contact since 10 days ago. He is now in a relationship with the other girl, who by the way is going to another country in 2 months and they're not planning on staying together

I know he still loves me and he's sorry for what he did, etc. And I know the other girl won't be around for too long. And people say, "you never know what you have until it's gone"... so is it possible that he will come back? And if so, should I take him back? I think if those things happened, our relationship would be to fragile for the long-distance thing, but I just can't bring myself to forget him, knowing that he might come back, knowing that a year from now we'll be in the same university and will have a chance to start new.. PLEASE give me some advice.

31

Most Helpful Girl

• If he comes back after the girl left, you'll feel second option, and you'd be right because it would really feel like you're the back up if he comes back to you when the other girl leaves. Even if he comes back now, it's because he knows she'll be leaving soon and he has two girls loving him, one leaving and one who still loves him back and would take him back (as far as he thinks).

Personally, how hard it would be, I wouldn't take him back right away. He couldn't even answer your questions as to how and why and what not. If he would choose you over her, it would be "easier" to take him back after his kissing and confession of loving her. But he's with her now (yes, you cut off all ties with him, but who knows he could've still seen her while being with you without you knowing) and he made it so complicated for him and you.

So if I were you, I would agree to stay friends now, still hang out. No kissing, sex, ... a cuddle, sure. But I would need a serious talk about that girl and his feelings for me and her (if I were you then). And see if I could trust him again or not. God knows why he'll come back: because he truly loves you or because the other girl is gone, and whatever he'll say to that, you'll still have that doubt in your mind.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I absolutely agree with you. There's no way I would get back with him if a) she dumped him, and he's going back to what's familiar or b) he tries to get back with me a few weeks before she leaves (which is late September). I give him a month from now, tops.

I cut ties with him in a cold-hearted 33-second phone conversation (without giving him any signs beforehand that I would do so), so I doubt he thinks I would take him back.

• I won't. Even at the best circumstances, I would tease him. He wouldn't dare to see her. He fessed up about everything a day after I started showing signs of suspicion.

I think I did the right thing by cutting him off. People, at all times, want something they can't have, so I decided to become that something for him. And if he really loves me and is worth it, he'll come back

• I hope so, and don't take him back when you feel you shouldn't. Good luck and I hope things work out!