What should I say to my ex?

I broke up with him about a month ago because he was mistreating me, yelling too often. I know it broke his heart. We had a bitter breakup, he got very cranky and both of us said we didn't want to speak again. After less than three weeks of non contact, he called me. I missed the call. I later text him asking what he wanted, he wanted to know how I was. I told him I was good and said nothing else. He tried to call me again later. I didn't answer. I text him later saying 'what do you want to know now?' I tried to return the call, but got voice mail.

I know it was pretty nasty of me. As much as I want us to just get along, I find it hard after all he said to me was very cruel and he would never apologize. I feel like I should now make the effort to contact him, as he's tried and I've shot him down. Should I contact him? Ideas on what to say? I don't necessarily want us back together as his attitude towards me won't change, I just want us to not be bitter.

31

Most Helpful Girl

• When people are upset or angry, they say things they don't mean. Some people can apologize for that, others don't. If you want to get along, I suggest you don't sit around waiting for an apology you know will never come, it's a waste of time. Text him or call him you want to talk. Best thing is if you meet up in person to talk. If you don't feel comfortable enough to do that, just talk through a phone call or Skype. Tell him what you want to tell him, that you want to be civil to each other, maybe an apology for what he said then (but maybe think about if there's something you should apologize for, maybe something you said or did that he feels he wants an apology for). Then you can talk about what you want, be civil and see what happens.