You don't need to tell your partner a resons for why you want to break up?

Agree or disagree? you can just break up and never tell your partner a reason?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Disagree. Of course no one "has" to give a reason but I think that's unfair to the person being broken up with. It would leave them with a lot of wondering about what they did wrong and why this person didn't want to be with them anymore. They should at least be given a reason so that maybe it's something they can fix so that it won't ruin their next relationship.

1|0
    0|1
    • But that's part of who they are. Why would you encourage them to "fix" it, just because you weren't strong/kind/empathetic/whatever enough to accept or even appreciate that characteristic?

• Show All
    • People break up with others for a multitude of reasons. Maybe it's a certain way a person acts that hinders the relationships (controlling, obsessive, etc.) and those things will likely ruin future relationships, those are at least things someone can work on if they want to. But if they aren't given a reason then they'll never know. But yes, it does depend on the individual.

• Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine. And that's it.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• You can go about it whatever way you want and there are so many circumstances that could change what the "right" way to break up is. In general I think that if you care for that person at all, out of respect to them and the relationship you had together its a kind thing to do so they can hopefully move on faster. I know when I wasn't given a reason in past relationships I was left wondering why and dwelling on him and the relationship ending for a longer amount of time.

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually think it's better not to tell them why. All they need to know is that it isn't working out. They don't need to know why, because telling them why is just giving them something to hold onto, something at which to nitpick and for which blame themselves. It's no one's fault that a relationship doesn't work out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Disagree. This is someone who you made a commitment to and who was close to you, you owe a explanation to them.

0|0
    0|1
  • If you cared about your partner enough at one point, it's only fair that you tell them why you are ending things. It's wrong to just break up and not even give a reason.

0|0
    0|1
  • DISAGREE! There must be a reason why you broke up.

0|0
    0|1
    • sure, but that's not what I asked, I asked if you HAVE to tell your partner any reason whether its the truth or something you made up to hide the real reason. you can just not tell them?

• Show All
    • most people won't do that.

• Thats cause theyre cowards

• Disagree only p****** do that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean, technically you don't HAVE to, but it would be disrespectful if you didn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's lame not to tell why, at least a general idea.

How can people learn from their mistakes if they never know what their mistakes were?

1|0
    0|1
  • Agree, I think the person can choose not to say anything to avoid hurting the person more

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• As someone who has been broken up and given no reason, it sucks. You go through tons of scenarios in your head, you think back to any little argument or hint that something was going wrong. You want to blame yourself, but you don't even know what specifically is your flaw, so it just makes you feel overall worse. I would always be honest and tell them, it's much better knowing why instead of leaving the other person with questions.

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree this is a free country this isn't communist f***ing Russia if I don't want to tell you something I don't have to f***ing tell you

0|0
    0|0
  • That's more of a moral thing. Technically you don't have to but if you have respect for that person it would be the right thing to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure you can, but I'd talk with them about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Agree. You don't need to tell anything especially if it will just hurt her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Agree. Especially if it would just hurt her more.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes