Moving in with my boyfriend for the 1st time; what should I expect?

Hey!

Day after tomorrow, my boyfriend and I are packing up and moving down to London together. Its both our first time.

What should I expect? How was the first time you moved in together?

Any tips on how to keep him excited about me? I realize that lack of distance can mean you are both too sore to have that passionate 'first-time-in-a-long-time' feeling. Hahaa

How to behave to still be desirable? (lucking we were close enough that he's already heard me pee, so I know that won't put him off! haha)

Thank you,

I'm only asking out of excitement and curiosity. We are both 19 and adventurous and ambitious. I'd like to hear about your experience and tips to keep it amazing!

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Schedule as many things as you can that don't involve him. Keep in touch with old friends and family on a weekly basis, and actively seek out new people to hang out with. Make an effort never to hang around the house for no reason - always be out, whether it's having lunch, shopping, working at the library, surfing the net at a coffee shop, going to the gym, or whatever else.

Remember, you get to see this person every day when you get back home. Therefore, it's important that your day is unique and different from his, so you have something to talk about when you see each other.

Always be pushing the envelope with new things to do and new date ideas, and intersperse them in your busy schedule. If you go out on dates too much without living your own life, you'll burn out. The kiss of death, though, is lounging around at home when neither of you has an interesting idea.

Expect to lean your boyfriend's routine and start getting annoyed by certain things. Try letting them go as much as you can, but always bring up the things you know you can't tolerate - the earlier, the better. Set boundaries. What constitutes being out too late? Does it mean a phone call at 10pm that he won't be home, or a text at 3am that he's out for the weekend? Make sure you're on the same page about what happens if one of you decides to quit the relationship. Will you continue living together (bad idea)? Whose name will be on the lease (should be both)?

I'm a pretty chill guy. I roll with the punches. That's what got me in the end. When I bit my tongue just once, it led to ignoring bigger and bigger things. It's important to stand your ground early on, because it's a slippery slope. Be very direct about what you want and expect, hash it out, and talk it out ad nauseam.

After all that, support the hell out of each other on your own separate paths. Don't try to merge into one unit that always goes out to the same parties together and has the same friends. Celebrate your individuality and be proud that your guy can have guy and girl friends, and be independent enough that you can go to parties on your own with no hard feelings. You'll have plenty of time to party one-on-one, trust me ;)