Is it a bad sign if your significant other is constantly belittling themselves ?

Almost every time me and my boyfriend talk he's constantly belittling himself. Saying things like "I can't believe your not sick of me yet" and when he does things for me like just recently he designed me a business card and I said I liked it and he said "Lol thanks no ""wow amazing its finally f***ing done took you long enough you lazy bastard I hate you" "

As if I would tel him something like that. And this always happens and I get to the point where I feel like he wants me to hate him and break up with him or something. I asked and he said no it's not like that but that's really hard for me to believe when its a constant thing. It's getting really annoying and upsetting. Why can't he understand that I love him and that's that.

And if its a ploy to get me to hate him and break up with him why isn't he just honest.

Can someone really be that self loathing? Yet still want a relationship ?

I just find it hard to believe that if you want to be in a relationship, even if you hate yourself,that you'll say things like that. I don't have self confidence either but if he's with me there must be a reason although now I'm self conscious because I feel like either he doesn't want me, or he does and I'm just awful at making him feel loved/wanted.

43

Most Helpful Guy

• That's unfortunate for him, how are you supposed to like him if he doesn't like himself? I wouldn't be surprised if you start to lose interest in him.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I'm not losing interest I'm more hurt than anything. Weve been together for 2 years now, I have no intention of leaving but if that's what he wants then ill give that to him. And it always feels like that. I just find it hard to think no matter how much you hate yourself that if you want a relationship you'll insinuate your significant other hates you,etc. I have self esteem issues too, but clearly if he's with me he wants to, but now I doubt that because he's constantly thinking I don't