Why do guys go back to their ex girlfriends? easy hookup or still have feelings?

My exboyfriend had a girlfriend that he claims he was over and could care less about. she tried to keep breaking us up, but he would always stand up for me and cuss her out. he called her a pregnant whore and talked **** about her because she was trying to break us up. Now, she is flirting with him after I broke up with him on his Facebook wall, and he flirts back! I thought he didn't care about her? they were only together for a month and we were together for 8 months?

11