How can I become more social and extroverted?

Sometimes I can be shy and self conscious. I don't always know what to say, so I simply don't say anything. I get the feeling that some people think I am snobby and rude because of it. I don't try to be rude, but I am just kind of shy. I've even been called "withdrawn". I used to be very social and bubbly and made friends easily, but at work I'm kinda quiet around most people because I don't really know them. I feel a bit excluded and kind of sad at work because a lot of them are cliqued up together but I don't really have many people to talk to. Outside of work, people tend to be drawn to me and will go out of their way to talk to me and I like that, and in turn I will talk back to them to. When I am given a chance I do well socially, but I'd like to not have to depend on other people's outgoingness and willingness to start a conversation. So how do I become bubbly and social again?

35

Most Helpful Girl

• Read Dale Carnegie.

I was/am exactly like you, and there's nothing wrong with it! But the world is much kinder to extroverts in general, so it's helpful to be able to be comfortable using that personality. I've found that empathy is everything. When you can see things from other peoples' perspectives, see their insecurities, it's easier to be confident and reach out to be nice to people. I break out of being shy when I see other people that are shy and I want to make them feel more secure.

• * Read his book: "How to Win Friends and Influence People". It's clever, simple, funny, cute, and insightful all at once. :)