Was I wrong to say that this bothered me?

My boyfriend and I have been together for a bit over 2 months now. He recently started going through my FB photos from a couple years ago or more, and ever since he keeps saying how amazing I looked back then, how he would love for me to get back to looking like that (basically I gained a lot of weight in past 3 years), how I look good now but back then I looked "amazing," etc. It bothered me a bit the first time he brought it up, but I didn't want him to think I am overreacting. He always said though that he wants me to always be honest with him though, so I finally got the courage to tell him that it bothered me and asked if we could not talk about my weight or how I used to look because it makes me feel bad. And he got SO upset. He said he never meant it like that, and that he was just being honest, and that he feels like if we can't be honest with each other about everything than we can't progress as a couple. I agree that you have to be honest, but I'm also the kind of person that would never say anything that could potentially hurt someone. I guess he made me feel bad about feeling bad lol. Did I overreact? I would like both guys and girls' perspectives on this. I don't want my guy to think he can't be honest with me, but I also don't want to be afraid to express when something bothers me. Was I wrong to say anything?

21

Most Helpful Guy

• Neither of you did anything wrong. It was a misunderstanding. I think he was trying to say in a nice way that he wanted you to lose weight. I have done the same thing and she got mad. We talked about it and since I had gained weight in college, we agreed to start a weight loss competition. She's winning and not exercising. I lift and try to be active. I think you both misunderstood the situation and neither of you fully understood. Just talk it over and ask him out right if he wants you to lose weight. I'd also ask him why he wants you to lose weight. I'm sure he just liked how you used to look and wants to see you look like that again. Don't take that as shallow. I think he's looking out for your best interests.

• I don't think he's being shallow, I know he loves me and wants best for me. But after hearing all my life how fat I am from my mom, it's now my biggest insecurity. When I started dating this guy, I was so happy that he just loves me for me. But now he made it sound like he'd have preffered me the way I was before he met me, and that really hurts and makes me feel like I don't live up to his expectations. He wants me to be honest, but when I say that something bothers me, he gets so upset :( Ughh

• If he loves you, then he will forgive you.

• I sure hope so :) thanks!