To go or not to go to a party where ex girlfriend will be?

She broke up with me months ago after dating for almost a year. It was amicable enough, but I was saddened by it.

I went to 2 months of NC before seeing her again at an an event. Although awkward, she was friendly enough towards me.

A month passed and I saw her again with mutual friends. I went right up to her with a smile to say hello and that she was very cold towards me, even rude. I later found out that she was asking around if I had been dating someone and was convinced that I was (in fact, I went on some dates nothing serious and was seen socializing with women. But, so what? My ex dumped me!)

Now, there is another event with mutual friends coming up and I think my ex will be there. I am concerned that I will not have a good time because I will be distracted and upset by my ex and any vindictive actions she may take. If she shows up with a dude, I know it will bent me out of shape and possibly destroy any progress I have made in getting over her.

On the other hand, my friends will be there and there is a possibility I can meet someone new. However, I am not sure how comfortable I will be hitting on other women while my ex is there.

Any thoughts? Anyone been in this boat?

My friends want me to be there, and I think I will be letting them down if I do not go. And I understand about facing my fears. However, I do not want to walk away from that night upset if and when I see my ex. If see her with a dude, it will be quite a kick in my balls, for sure.

Coincidentally, I ran into my ex this morning on the way to work. She say me first, smiled and said hello. I reciprocated. I thought it was nice of her to initiate a hello. Oddly, this makes me want to go to the party even less now. I know I have no reason to feel this way, but I kind of feel like it would be inappropriate for me to go to a party and hit on other girls if I am on peaceful terms with me ex. Thoughts?

11