Do you like it when others pry into your privacy?

I know everyone has their secrets, some more serious than others. But my question is Do you like it when others pry into your personal information? Like searching your name on the internet, logging on to your social media account, Facebook, e-mails, checking your cell phone?

I know some of you may have searched through others privacy, and will answer no you don't like it when people search for your personal information. Yet, you've done it yourselves before at one point or another.

A few times I was told by my ex-girlfriend that she is a very private person. Yet, she has no problem invading other peoples privacy.

One of the main problems my ex-girlfriend had with me is she just had to search my name and found out that I post on forums (gaiaonline and girlsaskguys) Which made her insecure. Out of respect for my ex-girlfriend I stopped posting nonsense so she wouldn't worry about it. When I feel the time is right I'll share information with you, but when it's forced out it feels wrong. It just takes a bit of time to become comfortable with someone so you can share information. So there wouldn't be an unnatural amount of secrets.

I can understand that curiosity can get the best of you, but you can always ask politely, right? :)

• No, it makes me feel like I have no privacy.
    Vote A
  • Yes, by all means I have nothing to hide.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone needs their privacy, and I think most people would hate to know somebody's trying to pry into their private life. However, you have a good point in here: most people (if not all) has at some point tried to do the same to somebody.

In this day and age where all our information is available just a few clicks away, it's very easy to stalk people and be stalked as well. I'd say any info that is available on a person's profile is fair game because if he's posted that, he must (in theory) approve of people seeing it. You should never try to go further than that, though (looking for passwords, checking cell phone messages, emails, etc).

The best thing would be to avoid handling delicate material altogether, and respecting people's privacy as well.

3|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 33

• I have nothing to hide but it's still my personal life and if I want to keep it a secret that I'd rather sit at home and watch That 70's Show on Netflix than go hang out with my friends well that's my personal business.

I don't share passwords with anyone for anything. My boyfriend does not know my password for Facebook or here or email. And he doesn't go through my phone. I don't hack his Facebook/phone either so there. It's nice and even.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes and no.

If someone is just really nosy and wants something to gossip about then no, I would prefer if they kept their head in their own affairs.

If, on the never occurring chance, someone I really liked looked me up on fb :3 ahhh I would be so happy

0|0
    0|0
  • No I hate when people over step their boundaries like reading your diary because they found out things you wanna keep secret and its an "invasion of privacy" It never feels good to have your secrets broadcasted to the world or to people who really won't take care of them or value them like you do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Checking your cell phone, hacking your accounts, etc. definitely not okay. Those are personal private things. Searching your name can only bring up things that are public to anyone. I wouldn't be upset with someone for that. I put it out there, so I don't have a reason to be upset if someone finds it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Totally, In this day and age technology gets the better of us, why call when I can text, why ask when I can google you. But we are dealing with people, you should be asking the questions you want to know. Not only because if you want to know it its a good conversation to have, but if you ask questions, it gives the other person a chance to see just how interested you are in them...

0|0
    0|0
    • so why is the fault of the other person? who says privacy is bad? lol..

• Hell no, that's not even a question. aha that's just rude period. I'm already a private person as is, so that would just add to it, if someone was snooping behind my back. If you want to know something, ask. It's not that hard.

P.S- Gaiaonline used to be the shiiiit :p

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care if someone looks through my stuff because I have nothing to hide. However, I would prefer to be asked first because although I have nothing to hide it's still my stuff and I don't need everyone knowing my business. If my boyfriend was suspicious of me for any reason I would allow him to look through anything he wanted. If my friends wanted to be nosy, I'd be curious as to why but still allow them to look with my supervision so they don't go through things that are too private. I guess it just depends on the person. I wouldn't want my mom looking through my phone in case she sees something that isn't meant for her eyes...ya know?

0|1
    0|0
  • Even though I really don't have much of anything to hide, and if I do I'll make sure no-one can find out about it, I still hate people going on my laptop or iPod or into my room without my explicit authorization and/or supervision. I voted No.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I prefer to share whenI am ready. Prying can be rude.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't have anything to hide, but I just hate it when people go through my things. I hate it when people watch me on my computer just in case they see something and want me to explain what it is or wonder what the point of it is. I like weird things (not bad weird things) and my parents for example just wouldn't understand what I love about it, nor do I to a certain extent.

With my phone, I don't have anything to hide on that but again, I feel that they'll find something odd on there and question me about it when I feel that it should be kept private. Also if my boyfriend went through it, he could mistake a friendly chat with a guy friend, as something more when it isn't. I just feel that prying into my private life will never bring any good.

0|0
    0|0
  • my boyfriend always tries to check my phone and he went and looked a conversation I had with someone on Skype. He literally logged onto my computer while I wasn't there.

Annoys the sh*t out of me

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't give a sh*t if people see into my private life. If they see something they don't like, then they're always free to back the f*** up and get out!

0|0
    0|0
  • Is this even a question lol. No I hate that. And the only privacy I invade is people's Facebooks, but if it's available to look at, it's not private.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have much to hide, but I still hate it when people go through my stuff. It just makes me feel uncomfortable and violated ._.

0|0
    0|0
    • maybe somebody simply doesn't want to tell others anything?

perhaps human beings are complex than you let on.

• I don't have much to hide from others, but I'm just the type who likes privacy, even in my own room, so I get pissed when I catch my siblings using my laptop or my phone

0|0
    0|0
  • The only time I don't mind my personal information being pried into is when I am playing Truth and Dare or Never have I ever.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like it when people don't mind their own business; but that being said, I have nothing to hide.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don't like when people invade my privacy and I respect other people's privacy but googling someone's name is not invading privacy. Anything you put online under your name you are making public. Reusing a username you've made public somewhere on an anonymous site is also a bit borderline e.g I don't go by my real name on FB but if I used the same name here I can't be surprised if people know private things about me from my posts on GAG. It's normal curiosity to see what people have made public online. Logging into accounts or reading text messages is a big no though. That's not cool.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I'm don't, but I don't mind it when it's certain family numbers

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I don't go through cell phones and all that crap but I will Google your name and look for your Facebook. Just so I know who I'm dealing with.. and your behavior. Also sometimes you can tell if a person is lying. I know people probably do the same to me.

I like and need my privacy and I respect privacy.. but I also believe that if you don't want your business seen, don't post it publicly because THAT is what I will look at. Prying is wrong. But if it's in your face and you ignore it, that's stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 12

• Did anyone else notice this is a complex question?

"Does anyone like when others pry?" is equivalent to "Do you like being robbed?" ... Well, no?

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't mind it to a point. I think if people go too far to the point of paranoid searching for stuff then I feel violated. But my girlfriend can check my cell phone, go on my Facebook, check my emails and I don't really care. if it became like a weekly "ok let's go through all your stuff thing" I wouldn't like it but mostly because I'd feel like there was no trust

0|0
    0|0
  • i think in modern pc society, privacy is seen as almost immoral now.

i think privacy is normal. there is no absolute human imperative that we must tell everybody everything we do, think, feel or know. I don't agree with people who assert as if privacy is somehow artificial.

0|1
    0|0
  • Doesn't really bother me, maybe if I was leading some double life or I was juggling a party of concubines I'd be worried... But if someone researches me they'll find I'm pretty dull, but have extensive internet posts.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. I voted 'A' since I firmly believe in everyone has a right to their privacy.

2. Someone who want's privacy doesn't mean that they have 'something to hide' or they are doing something bad, it just means that they do something that they want to keep to themselves maybe out of their nature or that others' don't see things their way though they are not wrong in doing something.

3. People who pry are basically those who are insecure and in that insecurity they begin accusing the other person of being wrong

4. Those who claim to be open and nothing to hide either may truly be so cause they really don't care about what someone else has to say or think of their way of life and actions or they are the insecure lot who claim openness expecting that the other person be so too.

0|1
    0|0
  • Who the f*** would vote yes?

Aint nobody got no reason to snoop into my private life. Even if I've got nothing to hide.

0|0
    0|1
  • you forgot c: my life is so boring doesn't the NSA have anything better to do?

0|1
    0|0
  • also, curiosity is normal. so what? this doesn't curiosity is always justified or warranted, does it? that's faulty logic you're presenting.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, it's rude. And yet idiots think it's OK that the government spies on people cause "I have nothing to hide" -_- stupidest thing ever.

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted A...if I want to be private, dammit, I'm being private for a reason. Don't intrude on that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only when it's the U.S. government, because I love to end all my messages with "President Obama white house target kill tonight Allah is great bomb NSA CIA FBI military weapon secret." I just think it's funny and love enjoying my First Amendment right to free speech and expressing humor. The people invading my reasonable expectations of privacy find it incredibly annoying and frustrating, especially because they know they can't really legally do anything about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wish Mr. Obama would knock-it-off with all this spying on us crap. I mean it doesn't make much sense that we ignore everything that's anti-American all over the world, but focus on our own citizens instead. It's a little ass-backward if you ask me! Leave me alone, leave my phone alone, leave my email alone. I'm not doing anything wrong.

1|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes