Just moved from home and I miss my parents?

I just moved into an apartment that I am sharing with 3 other girls and I miss being around my parents so much .

I moved to another country so I won't see my parents for next 6 months!

I am very affectionate to my parents, at evenings I could talk with them, we used to eat dinners together, make small trips.. now I am depressed and sometimes I cry because I miss them,

friends can't replace family..

I'm 22 and I know I have to become independend .. other young people don't have such problem, everyone is happy leaving their home, and I am so depressed

Can you give me any advice?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Listen. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be close to your family. Be grateful you have a stable, loving family environment where you and your parents have a close relationship. There are so many people whose parents are abusive or just plain d***s who would give anything to trade with you.

Being independent doesn't mean you never see your family again. You also don't know what is going on inside the hearts of these 'other young people who don't have such problem' and appear happy.

Can you Skype/facetime with them? Seeing them might make it a bit easier. Also talk and text and e-mail. We have amazing technology which makes communicating a breeze.

Can you figure a way to get back home sooner than 6 months? If not, the best you can do is find some activities that give you enjoyment. Sitting around and stewing about how much you miss them will only make it worse.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• First off, I'd like to say its completely normal to feel this way, however old you are. Maybe you could organise to call them once a day, perhaps on your way to school/work or while you cook dinner. If you set a specific time each day then you should miss them a bit less.

Good luck :-)

1|0
    0|0
  • It will pass trust me, happens in college too. A lot of students feel this way, its a sudden change and you're living away for the first time. But it passes soon, give it a month utmost. Its natural. Try go out more, do things, hang around with other people. If you have company and interests you'd find it easier to adapt.

0|0
    0|0
  • You'll be fine; that's a very normal thing to go through. I missed my parents terribly at first when I moved out of the house. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying living on your own.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Everyone is happy leaving their home because they probably didn't share the same connection and close net relationship, that you and your parents shared.

You are having home sickness, but don't worry overtime it will get easier and you will better learn how to deal with it.

Just keep in daily contact with your parents , or even set up a time where you can Skype (if they are into that) this may help you feel better.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's perfectly normal to miss them, especially if you were close to them. Sometimes just let it out and be upset for a moment. But once its all out realize what a great opportunity you have right now to see a new country and just enjoy the experience. Take pictures and videos to share with them when you go back home. Call them or Skype with them if you really need to see them and maybe their own words of encouragement will make you feel better.

In time you will start to become more comfortable with being on your own. Also remember that its temporary and you will see them again. So make the most of the time you have.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes