I have a horrible fear of divorce/being left. How do I change that?

Ever since I can remember I had a terrible fear of divorce. I have never been married, but when I do get married, I want it to be for life. I know that many people think that way too, that's not my fear. My fear comes from the fact that I see many couples get divorced, even when they swore divorce was not an option, even if they were Catholic like me (hence why I don't believe in divorce), even if they seemed perfect for each other. I am just SO scared of it, that it makes me scared to get married. My boyfriend and I just recently started talking about getting married one day, and he seemed so excited about it, and I thought I was going to pass out. I am SO scared that we will get married, but then he will suddenly realize he doesn't want to be with me anymore and will leave me. And I do not recognize divorce, so I'd probably have to kill myself. I'm sorry I'm not trying to judge people who are divorced, if you are and you are happy that's awesome, it's just something I know I could not live through or tolerate in myself. I am just extremely paranoid that someone will leave me, no matter who it is. This has nothing to do with my current guy, he is amazing and I know he loves me. I have felt like that with any guy I was ever with - that if I do one thing wrong, or he meets someone better/more compatible with him, he will just get up and leave. How do I get over my fears? Does it sound like I need professional help? I am just terrified of marriage failure and being left by someone I have committed my life to.

14

Most Helpful Guy

• I hate to sound like a quote but here goes. Sometimes you have to take a chance on love "marriage" if that and hope and pray that its going to last. It is very hard work to be married, but sometimes people fall out of love even "marriage". If you don't take that chance, leap of faith, then you will regret for the rest of your life. What if I did this, what if I did that, sometimes you have to take that chance.

• You are right. With great risk comes great reward, huh? ;) I wish I could just trust that someone won't just get up and leave me for some silly reason :/

• Listen. As the saying goes, if someday he decides to leave and doesn't comeback, then it wasn't meant to be. At least you tried and eventually someday you will fall in love with someone else who will appreciate you. If he leaves and comes back, then he would've realized he made a mistake and spend the rest of his life making it up to you. Win - Win.