Will it help to stay friends or should I back off for a while? I miss him :/

I just wish I knew how long this was going to take me... I'm so heartbroken...

My boyfriend and I just broke up five days ago. We were together a little over a year. Our love started to fade, some days he was crazy about me but others not so much... so we realized it just wasn't right. But I still love him so much.

He still wants to "stay friends" and see me all the time. He has texted me a few times just checking in/to see how I am and I always respond but I don't make plans with him - I think he knows it would be too hard for me to see him right away.

How long should I wait to hang out? Would it make it easier or harder if I hung out with him?

I know he really wants to see me.. he misses me like crazy... I really want to see him too but I'm afraid it'll be too hard... I worry he'll want to get back together because he misses me but I know that would be a bad idea because we'd just end up breaking up again.

Do I cut off contact for a while? Do I hang out with him right away like he wants or wait until I'm not so sad?

It's my first breakup I don't know what to do :/

02