Are boys actually less heartbroken during a break-up, or just less open about how they feel?

So most know about the stereotype that 'real men' have to be tough, not let their emotions show, etc., which I would say applies also to how they handle break-ups. Girls typically are very visibly distraught, living on Ben & Jerry's, re-runs of the notebook, etc.

What I'm curious about is do boys actually feel less pain after a break-up, or do they just put on a show to fit in in a sense?

518

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys actually process emotion slower than girls. If a guy and a girl get some news at the same time the girl will instantly know how they feel about it, the guy will have to think about it for a few seconds. This doesn't mean we feel less, it is just harder to process.

Guys tend to say things like "I don't care" when they are upset. It doesn't mean they don't care, they just don't feel like talking about it, or they are having trouble processing the new information at that moment and need some time to get their head clear. Guys also don't have the social support girls have, and have to deal with their problems on their own.

Most of the time guys try to run from their emotions by partying or staying busy. It is hard to say how much of it is biological, and how much is cultural, but new studies are showing it actually takes guys longer to recover from a heartbreak than women.

• I don't think about how I 'feel' when I get news, I think about what I think of the news.

even people who think they know how they feel are thinking not feeling. feelings are there they are not intellectual. what you are consciously processing are thoughts. not feelings.

• Even though they run from their emotions, does it catch up with them?

• @Ichron. Yeah. A lot of the issues men and women have, are because they don't understand the other gender.

@05Jueey. It really depends on the issue, and the man.