Away at College - Move-In Day Tradition?

I'm a 19 year old guy and I'm going to a small private college that starts next week. Well they have a tradition at this school on move-in day to help everyone get to know each other and ease the nervousness of the new freshman girls. On move-in day the freshman girls bring their bags/luggage to the common/hang-out room.

On move-in night, a number of guys from the dorm go and help deliver the bags/luggage from the common room to each girls dorm room. However...in order to help the new freshman girls from being nervous about starting college, being away for the first time and so the new girls can see college can be fun and a cool place...the tradition is that the guys that help carry the girls luggage do so wearing only a pair of sneakers and their boxers or briefs, nothing more.

The idea is since the guys are only in their underwear, it helps to get the new girls to relax and not be nervous about their first night away from home, to give them something to laugh about, have a good time and let them see college can be fun...plus it helps everyone get to know each other. Obviously the girls remain fully clothed.

I've heard in past years it was pretty fun and everyone has a good time. For a number of the girls this is their first time away from home and for some of them it's the first time they've seen a male in just his underwear in person...so there is typically lots of laughs and giggles and it really helps them relax on their first night.

I'm debating whether to volunteer that night to help move the bags? On one hand I think it's a cool tradition and helps...but at the same time it seems kind of unfair that the girls get to see us in just our boxers, but we don't get to see them. What do you think? Should I volunteer or no? What would you do?

24

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like a pretty awesome tradition- for the girls at least lol! Not sure the poor guys aren't getting the short end of the stick though- it's YOUR first night at college too and here you are lugging around girls' bags in your underwear. I feel like there should be some give and take there, seems like it's all on the guys to make the girls feel at home and less nervous...

But hey, if you're comfortable with it, It would probably be a good way to meet some people, male or female and it will definitely be one of those college stories you'll tell FOREVER.

• lol Yes it does seem pretty awesome for the girls, since they get a nice show watching us carry their bags wearing nothing more then our boxers and a smile! lol At first I was thinking it was unfair as well since it's just us in underwear and the girls are fully clothed...but I guess the girls are probably more nervous/anxious being away from home? I'll admit I'm a little nervous, but I think it would be cool to help and be a part of it. I take it you would enjoy it as a girl? lol

• I'm kind of torn about it- the reverse sexism makes the left-leaning, equality seeking part of me, but the tradition does appeal to the fun-loving part of me as well. On one hand. it's sexist all around (parading guys like man-servants to make poor nervous naieve girls feel better about being awya from home). But on the other, it's just good fun you can really only have in college...

• I know what you mean, but it's almost like that 'unfairness' of parading the guys around in nothing more then their boxers while they deliver bags to fully clothed girls is part of what makes it fun and unique? Like having the girls fully clothed while the guys act as servants in just their underwear not only makes it entertaining, but helps the girls be more relaxed? Like I can't see any other way to do it that would be as effective and entertaining? I mean what do you think? Right or wrong?