Did he panic and break up with me?

My boyfriend and I were together for 7 months when, out of the blue, he ended things. For 6.5 months, everything was perfect. We hung out with each others' friends and families. We went on vacation together. He seemed so sure about me and about us from the beginning and we moved at a good pace - we decided to become "official" after 2.5 months, then met the families, etc. Then, two weeks ago, he has a work-related crisis (whether or not to quit his job and take a new job or stay with his company). The day he got the offer, he toldme that if he acted distant, it was just because he was preoccupied. The next day, we had a really romantic date. And I could have sworn I saw something change in him - I thought we were moving toward "I love you". But two days later, he suddenly leaves town for the weekend without telling me until he's already on the road. Then the next weekend, he and his sister stage an intervention for their alcoholic father. Two days later, he tells me that he thinks we should break up. That he cares so much about me and this is a really hard decision but he doesn't see us getting married one day. He said he knew I'd never asked for that (and I hadn't - it had only been 7 months and we're only in our mid to late twenties!) but he doesn't want to string me along. I guess my question is what happened? Did he get overwhelmed by the work and family stuff? Did he get scared that we were moving toward deeper commitment? And is there anything I can say or do to fix it?
Yesterday, I walked by him on the street right outside the door to my office. He pretended to check his phone and then refused to look at me until we passed each other. He knows where I work and what time I go to work because we often walked to work together. He doesn't really have any reason to be on my block - let alone right outside the door to my office building. Coincidence? Is he checking up on me? Why did he ignore me? Does this mean something?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• He sounds like a nice guy that does care about you, just not enough to make you his wife. He gave the relationship enough time so that he was not making a hasty decision, but a decision he has made. I believe because of the mature and calm way he went about it, that he was being very honest and sincere with you. Sometimes that hurts, just be thankful that he was able to recognize that he was unable to give you what you need (and you were unable to give him what he needs) and to let you go find a man that will suit you better. You'll both move on and find your 'forever loves', and you'll look back and be thankful that he did what he did, and realize just how right he was.