Will backing away from her make her miss me?

I have finally backed away from the girl I like (and who I told I had feelings for a while ago) after months of being given mixed signals and having games played with me and within 2 days she has contacted me to ask if I am OK as she senses something is up. I told her I was OK so she asked if I wanted to meet up and have a chat as she felt I was avoiding her. I told her no and that I was OK so she left it with "fine well if you ever want to chat or anything let me know and I won't contact you now as you are clearly looking for some space".

The question I have is are girls more likely to change their minds when guys back off from them? I have been a doormat for months now and had to see her date others guys but I had such mixed signals as some days she wanted us to go for drinks/food and spend hours together and other days I was ignored completely. Part of me wants this space in a hope she misses me but I will be kind of disappointed if she doesn't as it will confirm to me that I have just been an ego boost for the past few months. I know it's the best thing to do because even if she doesn't contact me again (she is stubborn) then I guess every day that passes is another day closer to getting over her anyway which is hard enough as we work near each other so I have to see her every day.
Sorry I haven't given much detail here and missed some vital points which may or may not affect your advice. I told her I needed space a while back and she wouldn't allow me and if anything suggested we did more together. She also got really jealous when another girl asked me out and wanted to know where I was going with her and looked it up on the office computer saying "hmmm cosy". To me that suggests jealous which could have meant some feelings, when I came back to work (I was off for a long
weekend) she said she had missed me and did I fancy going for a few drinks soon and leaving our cars at home. Again, I thought maybe this was a sign of interest but then she ignored me for 4 days hence why I had enough and decided to back off. I am wondering if its the fact I have been so upfront and told her all of my feelings that she is just keeping me hanging as I am not a challenge but when she senses me liking someone else she reels me in and casts me away again. All of our colleagues
Have told me she 100% likes me but then if she did then why not just say? It's confusing.

91

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. If it does work, it might make her realize that she really likes you. But don't get your hopes up. Sounds like she has been flaky from the start, which is a good indicator that only one action (you backing off) won't change her mind. Most of the time, these kind of scenarios are impossible to somehow fix. Seems like she's keeping you on the back burner until someone "better" catches her interest. She likes the attention, but dislikes the commitment. That's why she gets jealous (she doesn't like the idea of someone taking the attention away from her) but still doesn't do much about it. It's easy for your colleagues to say that she likes you 100%, but clearly, when it boils down to it, only she knows what she feels. And right now, judging by the way she behaves and treats you, I don't think she sees you as a potential boyfriend.

• Yeah you are right. What makes me feel like I am doing the right thing is she tells me every day how many guys have hit on her the past evening or weekend and that her apartment has become somewhere for her guy friends to crash (guys she tells me that like her). I have always been her safety and she has said losing me would be the worst thing to happen which is why she says she can't allow herself to like me. I figured if I show her she is losing me anyway as I can't deal with this situation

• Exactly, I said this to her and she said ah it's alright they are only on the couch and laughs. Another problem is that she has been known to lie so I wonder how much of it actually is true. She has had real problems in the past so I feel like I am letting her down by backing off but I need to because by being there like her lapdog is making me feel miserable 24/7 and I explained this to her when I said I needed to back off before. Do you think I am right to back off?

• It doesn't matter if she's had problems in the past or not. If she's making you feel like crap, there's no way you should have to put up with it. She can't behave however she wants and expect to get away with it. You are right to back off. If you feel like all she's doing is bringing extra negativity into your life, you have every right to cut her out.