Why, all of a sudden, am I starting to have feelings again for my 3rd ex girlfriend?

I've had 5 girlfriends in the past and I for some reason, just started to think about her and I was in love with her back when we were together. She was somewhat psycho but not schizophrenic psycho. She was had some self esteem issues and insecurities and did use to take them out on me which didn't hurt (emotionally) but annoyed the hell of me. Her passion for love and stuff was very good and I liked that a lot, especially when we had sex. Why am I thinking about her though?
Another quick question totally unrelated to this: Why am I so apathetic to sad things that happen? I feel almost nothing when sad things happen (example: The Newton School Shooting. I felt nothing when I heard about the children who were murdered).

10