How can I stop being so eager to find a new boyfriend?

It's not that I want a rebound thing or a FWB. I've always been and I always will be only interested in serious relationships. My long-time relationship hasn't even been over for a week and yet, I can't wait to meet someone new - someone who'll treat me just like I deserve and make me feel glad to have ended things with my ex. I KNOW that my breakup is for the best. It's just that I'm 21 and I want to leave every serious relationship its time, so I feel like all the time I'm single is wasted instead of invested on a new, potentially more promising relationship.

Does that make any sense? I know that being single is ''helpful'' to work on myself and all that yada yada but HECK, I know what I want. I know exactly why my ex wasn't that and I am determined NOT to rekindle things with him (he's blocked off Facebook and I follow the NC rule).

55

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest I think there's no way a serious relationship can be started so soon after a long and equally serious one.

It's great to know well what you want, but you probably are not listening to what you need... at least for the time being. I've been on the same boat.. and honestly one week seems a bit too soon. It's an unstable phase after such a big change (that is, unless your prev relationship had been going south for a long time and you were done already.)

Even if it sounds cliche, it's important to let yourself cool down for a bit and take some time for yourself. Rushing things may not be a good idea because you risk either getting too involved with someone who isn't good for you or getting unrealistic expectations and thus having lots of frustrations not being able to fulfill your expectations.

That being said, it's important to remember nobody's perfect! I think we all have some times (ok, it can be lots of times!) when we feel frustrated because there's something about our partner we don't like.

Maybe he's a bit too fond of food, or he doesn't seem very witty/bright at times, or you just hate his taste in movies.

The thing is... nobody will 100% fulfill our expectations, and that's a normal thing. Even if at the moment you think you've found Mr. Perfect, sooner or later you'll find you don't like something about him. Hell, after some time together you may not like something you did before. And that's normal! There's a stage in relationships where we tend to get easily frustrated and try to change the person or even fantasize about what our perfect match would be like. But even if we had someone like that, the cycle would go all over again! I learned it the hard way!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • *and thus having lots of frustrations not finding somebody 100% right.

Sorry for the redundancy.

• Thanks for the advice! I'm still single, so I'm happy I didn't fall for an easy rebound relationship so soon. :)