Do people hold a right to break the law?

Why should "society" catch criminals?

I think people should really do as they please in life, since grown adults don't really need people to tell them what to do.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• "do people hold a right to break the law?"

-No, they do not have that right

"Why should "society" catch criminals?"

-Because society protects a productive populace that resides in that particular society that brings income and advancement as a whole to make another world possible in other words make life easier so that future generations may live in comfort and prosperity (if that was not clear enough)

"I think people should really do as they please in life, since grown adults don't really need people to tell them what to do"

-If that is so true, then you would not be on the computer, nor would you have electricity or running water and for all you know would not be alive to even post this question, but it sounds like you never passed fifth grade, and believe it or not I have seen grown men still act like a child sometimes.

The Ideology of people having the right of breaking the law is very backwards and counterproductive not because I say so but because it is logically or rationally understandable, Intend of looking at one ideology and being arrogant and ignorant toward any other ideals be more open after all you do live in a time and age in which information is fluid and dynamic to where anybody, anywhere can receive-have access to- and send information on the click of a button (the internet if you still haven't entered the twenty first century)

by the way the amount of energy you are putting into responding to all the people that are answering your question could of been used to get better web search results on Google, why post on a social anxiety web-site? LOL!

It also seems like you never had existentialism ideals cross your mind, but I think I am going to leave this on a good note and hope that you educate yourself overtime in this day and age take care.

0|0
    0|0
    • Grown people don't need laws.

• Show All
    • so people can live on somewhat of a comfortable life? without the worry of people having someone with entitlement issues of taking other peoples life's herp derp

by the way are you really from Trinidad and Tobago? that would explain why you are even asking the question since I still don't get why you why you posted the question in the first place if you are so sure about the answer, considering how you are talking to everybody here.

• I'm from the UK.

It's a discussion forum, what other reason should there be for me posting this?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• "I think people should really do as they please in life".

Yes, because everyone should be allowed to murder anyone who makes them mad, disagrees with them, or wrongs them in some way and it should be perfectly acceptable.

Seriously, laws serve a purpose. Humans may be animals however we still have advanced brains and ways of thinking as well as the ability to differentiate between "right" and "wrong" as well as the idea of being held responsible for our actions.

If everyone just went around doing whatever the hell they wanted, harming others, etc. without any guidelines and consequences then I don't even want to imagine what the world would be like. Realistically, people can't just do whatever they want. There will always be consequences to any actions and decisions we make.

1|0
    0|0
    • Who defines right or wrong? these only ever exist in the minds of people.

Besides, who is to say complete lawlessness would be "bad"? This is simply an old wives tale.

• Show All
    • arguments? I don't care. go away kindly.

• Lol. You're the idiot still commenting on my answer after I stopped responding. Get a life.

• I hope you get raped in the bootyhole and see if you will still be saying this.

4|1
    0|0
    • It's a free world. and? this is how most humans see it.

• Show All
    • Doesn't matter, nor do I care. the fact is if you can say contradictory things, so can I.

• If you didn't care, why bring it up in the first place. You're an idiot. I Have never said anything that was even remotely close to contradiction either. Do you just come up with the stuff out of your ass. Leave me the fu"ck alone, you're annoying.

• I think if it doesn't hurt anyone, it shouldn't be a law. I don't think the government should interfere with your personal decisions you make about how you want to lead your life. But no, I don't think people should just be allowed to "do as they please in life" if it involves stealing from people, or hurting anyone.

0|0
    0|0
    • Who says "hurting others" is wrong?

People in modern society don't really believe in "morals", we largely do as we please when we please, irrespective of the "cost".

• Show All
    • Ok, whatever "alpha male".

• I never said I was an alpha. It's a common dating term, but that's by the by here.

Stick with your "laws" and "order", most don't have any time for them.

• Yeah alright, why don't you try it somewhere far away from me and send me a postcard telling me how that violent, chaotic society works for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • you again...

1|0
    0|0
    • me again what?

Cannot I cite opinions? haha... is it your place to silence me?

• Show All
    • naahhh, I'd rather laugh at your stupidity.

• Yeah... the human condition (,i.e. totally free action) is stupidity hahaaa.

• LET'S GO ON A KILLING SPREE! -_-

3|1
    0|0
    • Everybody is free, who cares what people do?

• Show All
    • i simply know what you're about.

• What am I about? How do you know I'm about this? Do you have proof I'm about this? If so, what is the proof that I'm about this?why am I about this?

• i think some laws could be broken because they are super stupid but some do help

0|0
    0|0
    • i guess. but rationality is subjective. even still, we don't need "laws".

• Anarchy doesn't work as a well-functioning societal structure.

Unfortunately, people have to be governed in some ways because we've proven that we can't be trusted. The human race can not be trusted to not steal, not hurt, not kill, etc. Therefore, laws have to be made and enforced to keep the peace (as much peace as possible, anyway).

^^ These are all just my opinions, no proclamations of wisdom here :-)

1|1
    0|0
    • I just think as a person grows, s/he has developed the will to do as s/he sees fit. No reasoned person need "laws" or "rules". That's common knowledge.

• Show All
    • huh?

"My opinion is that laws don't exist"

Soo, what do you think will happen to you if you go to a clothing store and steal a pair of jeans? I'm pretty sure its the law (that apparently does not exist) that will dictate you being thrown in jail...

• people do as they please in life.

• So if a drug addict breaks your skull open and robs you for your money for his next fix, you would be cool with it?

Interesting

0|1
    1|0
    • the world is anarchy. I thought everbody knew that lol..

What Guys Said 11

• Yeah, sure, you're trolling, right? I mean, killing, raping, all no problem to you? Let's ask some of the victims...

There are minor violations which should not be punished too hard, but as soon as somebody is in danger of being injured or killed by somebody's or really is injured and killed, then the law has to strike them with all its power and cut them out of the society they damaged.

1|1
    0|0
    • Just saw your other posting... You're contradicting yourself, are you aware of that? On one hand you're pointing out how it saddens you when people don't treat each other right (bullying), then you say, that rules are needless - well, do you prefer a society with rules, where bullying is punished or do you prefer a society without rules, where everybody is free, but also is free to harm each other? You can't have both...

• I'm a human, humans contradict themselves all the time and say things they don't mean. Surely you knew that already, right?

• I contradict myself since many others do.

So according to you, social proof is "bad"?

• Well there's Civil Law and Common Law. Civil Law being regular procedures uninvited to subjective inquiries while Common Law is subject to subjective inquiries. Both as act as an institution to protect, defend, punish and allow the common "good" to live their 365 day life. However, as good as it is said, protection is limited in capacity due to political and governmental nature of financing those services equally (some more then others, "white flight"). Worst criminals will be captured in due process and time, not immediately.

I agree with you that people should do as they please. Sadly in order to live this supposed constitutional and equitable life, the populace innately sacrifice certain liberties ranging from paying their marginal tax rates on their 1040 (tax or prison), financing their neighborhoods security, being careful with what is said due to probable litigation, working a routine white collar or blue collar job to make an income sustainable for a family which can take a heavy sum bills outstanding and due.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's probably the most ridiculous ideology I've heard in my life

2|2
    0|0
    • How so? Kindly prove that laws are superfluous, and that real people do as they please in life?

• Show All
    • Maybe not. Laws are simply made by politicians, who are no smarter than than the average Joe.

• hahaha... If people wish to KILL, that's their prerogative.

• Let's face it. We all have an equal right to do anything we want. We are all lucky to be here on Earth to begin with. We should be able to do what we want right?

0|0
    2|1
  • The legal system is retributive, meaning it seldom prevents someone from doing as they like.

However, we all know that if we do certain things and get caught, there will be consequences. Which is why most people choose not to do those things.

When was the last time you were not allowed to speed? No one stops you, you just get caught and have to pay extra for it.

Retributive justice is retroactive in nature, innocent until proven guilty, no one is a criminal until AFTER they commit a crime. No one is actually stopping you, except for yourself.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know that. I'm saying that the penalty is false and has no reasoning behind it.

• Show All
    • Actually, they're largely a part of evolution. Not philosophy or religion, but evolution. Go read some Darwin, especially "The Descent of Man". Also, look into other social animals. Primates, canids, sea mammals, all social animals conform to some very basic "rules" of society. They manifest in different ways, but in reality, amongst social animals, there is very little free for all.

• Don't cite the beliefs of psychologists or scientists to me.

• To me, only poor/homeless people do. If you're hungry af I highly doubt you would stand out side and beg for some bucks. just go into a grocery store and eat a candy bar or two.

0|0
    0|0
    • Really? I doubt that. Don't presume your opinion is the absolute fact.

• One viewpoint is that its a contractual agreement and the legal and penal systems are enforcing the agreed upon terms.

So for example, I would like to not be killed, and you would also like not to be killed and so on. So we all agree in a given country that we won't kill each other, and if anyone breaks this rule, they will have X done to them, and we delegate responsibility for enforcing X to hired public servants. If you disagree you can persuade others to change that contractual term, or you can leave and head off for some jurisdiction where it doesn't apply. Maybe Bir tawil or antarctica, or perhaps you could manage to have some sort of high seas vessel not registered anywhere

0|0
    0|0
    • So there is no reason why anarchy is worse than "order" lolok OK..

• Show All
    • I didn't say it was worse or better. I just suggested you'd be killed off within a week. You can judge yourself whether it would be worse or better.

• so good, your collective protestations of "order" make no sense then.

• Without established rules society falls apart

0|0
    0|0
  • QA: you are a troll and are not quite one tenth as smart as you think you are.

1|0
    0|0
    • I never said I was. I don't even think intelligence can be defined. Are you smart?

• Show All
    • So then explain how you're so kindly and benevolent haha..

• lol.. your post actually made me laugh. I'd wager on an average day, I'm a more benevolent person than you, and perhaps most on this site. kindly prove not.

Look, people contradict and say things they don't mean. I'm only human!

• Yes, adults need guidance. The vast majority of people aren't really mature...look at all the lawsuits for frivolous things, crimes of passion and attitudes of entitlement.

I'm pretty sure you'd be dead by now if there were no traffic laws, police surveillance or penalties for assault/murder. If everyone can do as they please, I'm certain someone you've encountered in the past 25+ years of your life has wanted to kill you but has been held back because he/she didn't want to go to jail. If it was a free-for-all you could hypothetically kill them but you can't shoot a person who shoots you from behind.

If all you're talking about is petty criminal stuff like theft, then I feel if you're smart enough to avoid getting caught, you have the right to do it. Some laws do need to exist IMO, mainly against murder as well as government-level stuff so one a**hole can't have too much power and before you know it, everyone is in a totalitarian regime and get gassed if they don't do things the way he wants it. If there were no laws people would feel free to enforce their own anyway. It's better to have something in writing we can all understand and realize the consequences of.

0|0
    0|0
  • A citizen's arrest is an arrest made by a person who is not acting as a sworn law-enforcement official. In common law jurisdictions, the practice dates back to medieval Britain and the English common law, in which sheriffs encouraged ordinary citizens to help apprehend law breakers. So yes, some people do. Where I was raised, things were always handled by not going to the police and you never ever ratted on anyone for anything. So if you had a crime committed against you or a loved one, you and your family resolved it yourself.

0|0
    0|0
    • Er.. so this merely means catching criminals. that's not my point. I'm suggesting that maybe criminals should be free to do as they please.

• Show All
    • Of course they do, that's why they are criminals lol. There are laws for a reason, and people should obey them. There is a shift in America in certain demographics of particular "types" of people regarding what they can do and why they "can" do them.

• Should? Should doesn't exist in life, I thought this was common knowledge haha.

Recommended myTakes