What is the situation, is he just using her for a place to stay?

Okay so case in short there's a guy that's liked me for a few months and has wanted to ask me out but he was intimated by me. We got to know each other better but didn't get into a relationship because I'm currently on break from a four year relationship so ya. Anyway he has a crazy ex, and he doesn't get along with his parents so he's been moving between staying with his mom, his dad, and even his (ex)gf.

His x was psycho and so a few months ago he broke up with her and stopped living with her because he couldn't take it. he's 17 so he was staying with her and her mom. He then went to living with his dad which he couldn't stand cause his father is childish. Anyway his crazy ex showed up and mustve convinced him she's changed so he's giving it another go. he told me theyre taking is slow but he's already moved back in with her.

He still loves me but says that his feelings for me have to be on hold while he stays loyal to the situation. he didn't say ex or girlfriend or her name, we usually refer to her by her name. What the f*** is the situation? is he just using her for a place to stay?

10