Can my landlord do this?

I was supposed to be renting a place from someone I know. His father and one of his friends owns a house that I was renting the basement from. After 2 1/2 months of waiting for it to be fixed up, I decided to go with something better suited to myself that I am able to move into right away. I did however give a damage deposit before Sept as I was told it should be ready within a few days. Now that I have told my landlord I will not be moving there, he wants to keep my damage deposit. I never signed anything and I was lead to believe numerous times that it would be ready, therefore missing out on many opportunities to find something else. What can I do? How should I go about dealing with this?
I have a reciept from the bank with the amount I deposited

14

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't really.

Never give someone money for any sort of business transaction without having it documented. Now it's your word against theirs. They could just say "She never gave us any money, we collect deposits when the lease is signed." And there's not much you can do to prove otherwise.

Just learn your lesson and move on.