Why do we forget the reasons we broke up with someone?

I'm just curious as I have recently been through a break up. Why a few months down the line we start to really miss that person and can't seem to remember the reason we broke up with them in the first place?

All I can remember is the comfort and nice things of the relationship, but am having trouble remembering the bad parts (of which there were many). Otherwise I wouldn't have ended it. But all I feel is guilt and regret for breaking up, even though I know if we got back together that I would not be happy.

Why do we do this psychologically to ourselves? Why do we forget the bad things?

What do you think?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• Breaking up is your transition to bigger and better things, so you need to realize that whenever you split from someone, its because your needs are now maturing and you now need something better than what you had, remaining where you were would lead you into an unhappy relationship and cause you to waste many years wondering what ifs, but the reason you forget is because your second guessing your worth, so ask yourself, are you worthy of better, or was he the best you can get? x