Have you ever broken a gender role?

Have you ever broken a gender role?

Did any of you ladies buy the guy a drink at a bar?

Any guys here do day to day ironing or changed baby diapers?

Certain gender roles are weaker and some are stronger. What would be the strongest one that you broke? How did it feel? Did you feel weird about it or did you feel normal and satisfied while doing it?

I'm sure some roles are impossible, like giving birth of course.

Although, many people use these roles and give the other gender more work as a reason to be lazy.

To break gender roles can also mean to break laziness.

Have you heard a man say "Nah, you make the dinner, you're a woman" or a woman say "You fix the car, you're a man" or "I'm not going to make the first move. It's his job"

It's important if you observe how the people use these as a means of not doing any work, after all, it will work in their favor and you can't argue against "the rules"

Just remember, most of these rules are not official and are merely how society builds upon it.

I apologize if my post seems to generalise or offend anybody. No harm is meant.

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't ascribe to gender roles. They interfere with people living up to their full potential as human being.

ive never told a guy to do something because he's a guy or refused to do something because I'm a woman or insisted I do something because I'm a women.

I relate to people with as little predetermination as possible. If someone is respectful I respect them if not I dont. sex doesn't apply here. If females really were naturally this way and males naturally that way then you wouldn't need a proscription on how to act.

you don't tell someone to get skin- because they naturally have it. or to breathe because they naturally do.

theres no rational purpose to gender roles. if someone can do something competently they can do it. what purpose is it to then turn around and say they are a woman acting like a man or a man acting like a woman.

a woman is a woman based on her biology. anything she does is something women do. same thing goes for men.

gnser roles are a bunch of bullsh*t with theoretical philosophical holes all over the place. invalid and useless.

Imo, if you can do it do it . if you can't do it learn how. if you can't learn it get help. regardless of sex.

when someone determines a person is not acting as their sex should dictate.all it mans is that person did not live up to that other persons expectations . that's i. its got nothing to do with not being who you are.

my dad raised 4 kids. he wasn't acting like a woman he was being a dad. that's what he was. my mom left us to prsue a career. she wasn't acting like a man who didn't want kids. she was acting like a woman who chose a career over family.

presuming a person will should act this way or that way makes it that much harder to to understand the world in a coherent manner. you have to wade through extra layers 9 disabuse of certain misconceptions it leaves you still back where you started at a pre-understanding of a situation.

i have never seen a reason for gender roles. just emotional responses. I want to be in charge. idontwant to be in charge. I'm traditional. these are feelings there's no rational argument in support of gender roles.

furthermore the amount of heinous activity that's gone down in history in the name of tradition or gender roles I find it really strange anyone would want to cling to this as a valid reason for their expectations and intentions towards other people.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• A few times. I went to an all girls high school, so I kinda HAD to do the asking if I wanted a date to the dances haha. But I've also paid for dates before... usually only when we're in a relationship, though. I've never paid for both of us on a first date.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the guys I like are very shy,so I am usually the one who makes the first move.I am waaay to impatient to wait for some dodo head to pick up the phone and ask me out.

I also like to pay for the meal if he paid before.

And that sort of stuf.

When someone says "women should cook and men work" I just wanna lecture them about 21 st,gender equality etc.Ignorant bastards xD

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, lately I've become a Mrs. Fix-it. I've repaired a wooden gate and even fixed our broken roller door. I have to say, I've quite enjoyed it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I buy drinks all the time, I used to mow the lawn every week in my old home, my property is to large now, so I hired a company to do it, but I have painted rooms, changed light fixtures, and even tried peeing when standing ;).

0|0
    0|0
  • mhm... Well, back in high-school I bought for my male best friend a suit of clothing for parents night.

Besides that, no I have never changed gender roles.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have graduated from an Engineering university where mostly intelligent guys study . Did my bachelors in Electrical Engineering with a GPA >3.5 ! I hope that counts as breaking a gender role :P

0|0
    0|0
  • From your criteria I've "broken most of the gender rules"...Let's see:

I've bought a guy a drink quite a few times;

My ex cooked for me cause I can't cook;

I have made the first move for most of my relationships...

I don't take it as breaking any rules, some of my ex-es were pretty handsome and intelligent dudes who showed me they liked me but couldn't ask me to date, so when I knew I liked them too, should I wait forever for him to ask me, cause if he's shy that might never happen, you know?!

About the cooking thing, my ex-boyfriend actually liked to cook for me and it's far better to eat together at his (or my) place than to give money for stupid restaurant and wearing uncomfortable clothes, wondering what to get from the menu and worrying if we eat like aristocrats...

0|0
    0|0
  • As usual, yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a country girl tomboy, so when I went to university, I ended up breaking a few gender rules a lot of the girls on my floor thought were sacred.

For instance- instead of staying with the girls and decorating for a fundraising party, I went and helped the guys unload the truck. Why? Well, it was more efficient that way, you don't need 6 people to hang streamers, but the more people moving stuff, the quicker it gets done..

I have also bought movie tickets, drinks etc. for guys I liked- the way I see it, if I have money and want to do something nice for you, why shouldn't I?

I've asked guys out, although it's never gone beyond a first date, so I don't often do it.

I don't do these things to consciously break gender roles, I just make the decision based on the situation and how I feel, what seems logical and right to me. The girls at university sometimes thought I was nuts, some told me I'd never find a guy because I'm too independent, not feminine enough.

Mostly, I disregarded it as a perception thing- being my own person doesn't make me less of a woman. I can still rock the high heels and skirts, just like I can rock jeans and cowboy boots. like flowers and cute furry animals as much as the next girl- I am who I am, gender roles or not.

0|1
    0|0
    • I really like this answer and I agree. I don't see why those girls think that being independent is a bad thing.

You seem strong as a person and that is a decent trait.

• I once farted. Does that count?

0|0
    0|0
  • Every relationship I've had started with me asking the man out. Asking for his number, paying for the date. I didn't pick them up though, ironically, they still came to my house to pick me up, haha!

Also, I once dated a single father. We got a flat while we were all out together and he took care of his kids and entertained them while I changed the tire.

3|1
    0|0
    • Single father? That is rare! Certain countries don't allow fathers to take care of their kids if they divorce.

I'm glad to see men are also capable of taking care of kids alone. How old were the kids?

• Show All
    • Sparrow's being modest. She knows that all the guys ask her out! lol!

• Haha! If that were true, I probably wouldn't be single right now, haha!

What Guys Said 5

• A little of that is ridiculous. I not a feminine guy, but I can iron my own clothing--because that's just basics. I can cook, because cooking is pretty easy when you have a good cookbook to follow. And food is pretty good, especially when it takes 15 minutes to prepare over 20 seconds.

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't have sex with a drunk girl even though she was coming on to me. I saw it as wrong and I don't do casual sex. That was a definite gender role break.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being trans* I've broken most if not all

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I've cried on certain occasions :P

0|0
    0|0
  • At home I'm like a single mother

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes