How do I get over a break up?

I know it isn't long but I had been dating this girl for 6 months and she broke up with me a day after the 6 month mark of us being together. I had bought her roses to celebrate the day...

At the start she was so into me, told me she never wanted to lose me, begged me even, to never leave her. It seemed great as this was my first relationship I had been in and I loved the attention and affection I got from her. About a month ago, she started showing less, complained I didn't make enough of an effort when I did. Then says I smother her...she used to smother me all the time in the beginning but I didn't have a problem.

She broke up over text because she has no balls. It was so sudden and took me by surprise. It's been a week now, I've done my fair share of crying but now I just feel empty and want to just move on.

I've spoke to her sister and she has truthfully said she hasn't found anyone else, she just wants to be alone. If she comes running back in a few months I won't be there for her.

So anyone who has gone through a break up, how do you cope? It's the worst feeling in the world.

24

Most Helpful Guy

• she sounds a bit fickle. like will dive into something head first and then backs out.

as for you I think it's a good plan like you said just to move on and close the book on this girl. it may be tough but just realize that you are young and will meet new people. take the experiences you learned here and apply them going forward. find distractions from the girl (things to do, hobbies, social activities, etc). lean on your friends and family to remind you that oyu can be happy single. and I think that is a big part of young life is learning that life can be good single. you're free, independent, etc so the next relationship you find you'll appreciate that bond that can be built between two independent people.

but mostly just know it does take a bit of time to get over any relationship. honestly the girl sounds fickle so it's seems better that the relationship ended before things got anymore serious.

good luck!

• Love this answer! I don't understand why things turned sour though, was it because I started to become less of a challenge than I was at the start or some other reason?

• One of the reasons she said she wanted to split is to focus on work. What person throws away a relationship for work? Everybody works but you don't see us all giving up relationships for it. Like you said, she is fickle and I''m starting to see that now.

• yeah work was just an excuse. I mean focusing on work is important but it doesn't mean you can't have a relationship...otherwise no one would work