I am 22, should I move out?

I am 22. I have a fair job that I believe I can find apartments that would cost 1/4th of my pay check. I love my family but I don't have any privacy. My boyfriend can't be in my room and recently my mom figured out our sexual life with my boyfriend and she is very upset about him. She said he is not allowed in this house again..

Should I move out?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. BUT don't do it to have sex. Do it so that you can grow up. Don't move in with him and don't have sleepovers every night. Move out for yourself.

1|0
    0|0
    • i disagree. move in and have all the sex you want

• The point is that she needs to be independent, not move from parents to another person that's going to rules and what not. Having sex is great but you don't need to jump into living together to do it.

• I agree with Turtleluv. Thanks for the advise

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• If you feel comfortable living by yourself (assuming you are) and feel that you're financially and emotionally stable enough to handle it, go for it. But keep in mind of other things. Rent is just part of it. Some apartments won't pay for utilities so you'd have to pay for those that don't. Then consider if you're going to have to pay more for gas if you move farther away from your job.

If you're adamant about doing this, hang in there for a month or two and save up some money first.

0|1
    0|1
  • yeah, seems this would be best. You're 22, how your mom hasn't already assumed you're sexual active already is kinda an "umbilical cord" red flag lol. My advice? stick it out for say at least a month(maybe 2) to save up on emergency cash. You love your family right? Then lay it easy on her. I don't care what parents say, it's usually hard on them when a kid leaves the nest. Don't be surprised if she flips out and says some crazy hurtful stuff. Good luck.

1|1
    0|0
  • If you want more freedom and you can afford it you should go for it, as jmowen said though there's always other things like food and deposits, as well as bills etc... Plus just general expenses that come almost out of the blue so it's best to save a bit before that just incase the worst were to happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • ya

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep. or go to his house.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes you should..

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say you don't have to but you should do what you want, the reason why I feel you don't have to is because you are a girl, from what I've observed, a girl can live with her parents and pretty much any age and most guys won't care, will overlook that and still date the girl, accept her, however the other way around, if a guy still lives at home by a certain age, most girls will refuse to date him unfortuneately, seems like a double-standard

0|0
    0|0
  • sex before marriage is wrong.

0|0
    0|1
    • pushing your self righteous bullsh*t is the only thing that's wrong. sex before marriage is good, cause otherwise you could be stuck with someone whose horrible in bed for the rest of your life

• Sad...

• It's never worth fighting with parents, it's unhealthy for the mind and walking away from problems is cowardly and doesn't solve anything.

I understand that privacy is important and it's worth it to move out if it gives you confidence, mental and psychological stability, sometimes it's a healthy thing to do.

Clear the air with your parents, stay in good terms, then make a move.

0|2
    0|0
  • move out and don't look back

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Don't move until you have a plan and a few months worth of paychecks under your belt. The worst time to move out is when you don't have a safety net of money under you. Right now, despite you being an adult, you're living under your parents rules. Honor those rules until you can get a place of your own. See your boyfriend either at his place or go out of town for a weekend on a trip together.

Research affordable apartments in your area or near your work area. Make a budget of all bills you need to pay: rent, insurance for car, utilities, food, entertainment costs, medications and medical insurance - everything. Once you know you can afford living on your own, you can make better plans on when you can leave.

1|1
    0|0
  • You're 22. Hell yeah. You don't need to be controlled but your mom

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. If you can afford it just leave. You're 22 and your mom assumes you don't have sex? That's stupid

0|0
    0|0
  • Privacy is a big thing! Yes, I would say move out. You are over 21 and if things are how they are now, then prepare yourself for the worse. I moved out of my parents house at the age of 25, but prior to that I was in college/on campus, etc. I had to leave because of the amount of control my parents had on my social life and privacy. Emergency happened, now I am back, but next week I AM OUT OF THE DOOR!... Same problem, no privacy...

0|0
    0|0
    • Note: Only if you can afford it, and won't be struggling.

• I think that you can't judge your mom because she got upset but it would make everything easier on you if you just moved out

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes