I rear-ended a car, panicked, and drove off, how to amend the situation?

So after a quiet Monday night shift, I left earlier than usual at the movie theater I work at, and there's also a woman's choir group that holds recitals in the mall, and normally they leave before I do on a Monday night.

Anyway, I backed into a white Escalade, and I panicked and drove off (stupid and irresponsible I know). Given that my manager was still working, he could've seen me rear-end it, and there's also mall security in the vicinity, so they could report me.

Aside from chipped paint and the driver's rear side being slightly bent, it's not noticeable, but when I come in next Monday, it's not going to take long for the choir group members put two and two together. So should I ask discretely or publicly address them as a group to find out who I should exchange insurance with?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Look you can handle it a few different ways.

1.) find out who it is, explain it to them and provide them with your Insurance info. (more than likely they'll be cool)

2.) ...If you know they're gonna be a**holes about it. Just lie and say you left contact info on the windshield and was wondering why they didn't contact you.

Hit and run is pretty serious man. Get off this computer and take care of it IMMEDIATELY. Hopefully they're understanding and don't call the cops. Here in CA a misdemeanor hit and run can cost you 6 months at county jail if it goes bad.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• Not sure what you mean exactly when you say "discretely." Do you mean like pose the question through the choir group leader and have her ask around, or something like that? If that's the case, I would address it publicly, that is I would approach the entire group and ask it myself so as to prevent any confusion or misunderstandings that could arise from relying on others to communicate your intent. That's what I'd do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Accidents in parking lots do not have the same laws as road accidents (at least where I am from). If you hit someone in a parking lot, either you help pay for the damage, or you don't, but you are not legally obligated nor required to give insurance info. If you have a guilty conscience, then tell them. If not, don't.

0|0
    0|1
    • yah good point. a parkign lot is considered private property, and therefore the dmv laws do not apply to it. They can still take you to court if they saw you though

• You need to fess up it is the right thing to do. Put a note on the window of the car you hit with contact information, and apologize.

1|2
    0|1
  • How could you drive into my car? How dare you!

0|1
    1|1
  • if people for sure saw you talk to the person, otherwise let them come to you if they do... there are some crazies out there don't get involved if you don't have to... I scratched someone paint once and they wanted thousands of dollars... I wish I would have just drove off...

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe the person who you crash into is reading this post

3|1
    0|0
    • hahaha this is a smaller community than you think.. there's probably around 100 active members here..

What Guys Said 7

• well, if you know for SURE they will find out, the best thing is to contact them now and appologize and tell them you'll pay for the repairs yada yada. If you think they might not know it was you, it might be better to just not say anything since you waited already..

0|0
    1|1
  • HOLY SHIT, I GOT REAR ENDED TODAY, MY NECK HURTS AND IM GOING TOMORROW FOR AN ESTIMATE ON DAMAGES, WOW, COINCIDENCE

0|1
    0|0
  • Id park at another business for awhile lol.at your age id take the risk of getting caught...insurance will go through the roof. Their insurance will pay for it. Imnocent till proven guilty.

0|0
    0|0
  • First of all you didn't rear end it, you just backed into it.

I would leave a note with my phone number on their car, and talk to them that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Address it publicly to the whole group. Man up and take responsibility for your mistakes.

0|0
    1|1
    • This seems like a waste of time to the entire group. It's a bent window and messed up paint. Why would they want to involved in this?

• I don't think it's a good idea to tell unless you are sure they will find out.

0|1
    0|1
  • Forget about it.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes