I'm letting him lead - is this a wise choice?

I've been talking to a man for the past 3 months. I'm completely into him, a lot, and from what it seems like he is too. He and I are very busy people so there are times where we talk or communicate every other day or not until really late at night.

Now I've made my fair share of mistakes in past relationships so I decided that I'm not doing that this time. This time although I did initiate contact with him it was not over the top I wanted him to know that I wanted to talk to him but that I wasn't going to 'stalk' him either. After showing a fair amount of interest on my part I took the back seat and let him take the lead.

We're now at a place where he initiates the majority of our contact. He usually will text me during the day saying he hopes I have/had a great day or just texts me to check on how my day is going. I know that on Saturdays he'll most likely call me and Sundays aren't usually a day we get to talk. I text him though too but I try to hold back a little bit because I don't want to come across as clingy or desperate. He knows how I feel about him and He's mentioned us being together but I feel like until we've established what kind of relationship we want I will not put him in the boyfriend role where I'm constantly sending him cute texts or telling him how much I miss him even though I have a couple times but want to do so more often badly.

Am I taking the right approach by letting him lead and holding back some for now? For once I feel like I am really being pursued by someone who wants me. I guess since I don't always initiate and he does that he wants to talk to me. I don't want to move too fast or too slow here. I want to be bold at times but not where it may scare him away. Any advice? Thank!

01